Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering which mouthpiece would be better for classical. I currently own a selmer s-80 D but want something darker. I hear these are about as dark as it gets. thanks for the help.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Neither is better than the other.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Coming from a Selmer D, I'd say a Caravan Medium chamber would be a smoother transition. That will be much darker than your D. Moving from a D to a Rascher will feel like re-learning the horn all over again. The tip openings on the Raschers are insanely small. Rather than spend 100 bucks on a piece that only frustrates, I'd find a vintage Buescher for 30-40 bucks on ebay and learn how to play that. The Raschers are attempted replicas of these and many "Rascher school" players prefer these more affordable mouthpieces.
Even a Vandoren AL3 would be a good one to try as I find these nearly identical to the Caravan Med. Chamber.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Buy both, if you can afford it. If not, then the Rascher for the darkest and the Caravan for being more versatile.

W.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,804 Posts
vivace1 said:
Coming from a Selmer D, I'd say a Caravan Medium chamber would be a smoother transition. That will be much darker than your D. Moving from a D to a Rascher will feel like re-learning the horn all over again. The tip openings on the Raschers are insanely small. Rather than spend 100 bucks on a piece that only frustrates, I'd find a vintage Buescher for 30-40 bucks on ebay and learn how to play that. The Raschers are attempted replicas of these and many "Rascher school" players prefer these more affordable mouthpieces.
Even a Vandoren AL3 would be a good one to try as I find these nearly identical to the Caravan Med. Chamber.
Caravan does not make a medium chamber bari piece.

Vandoren's BL4 is an excellent classical bari piece with enough tip to get some air through it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help so far. As for going with a smaller chamber as merlin said they don't make a medium chamber. How well do you think these mouthpieces would work on my 12m

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,804 Posts
Caravan and Rascher bari pieces both work quite well on a 12M, assuming you're playing classical.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts