Sax on the Web Forum banner

Rascher recording of Glazunov.

725 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  dmbsaxlover
Hello, I’ve been studying Glazunov’s concerto for a while. And I would like to know where I could find any recording of Rascher playing it. Or even if it exists.:cry:
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I have never seen anyone refer to such a recording, Rascher premiered it but there's no recording I have heard about. Someone on Wikipedia listed these performers as having recordings. I agree Rascher would be my top choice for sound and technique (and humor)

John-Edward Kelly, Arno Bornkamp, Gary Louie Joe Lulloff, Christopher Creviston, Jean-Yves Fourmeau, Lawrence Gwozdz, John Harle, Theodore Kerkezos, Robert Eason, Karel Krautgartner, Jean-Marie Londeix, Marcel Mule, Kenneth Radnofsky, Debra Richtmeyer, and Eugene Rousseau.
There are a couple posts around this forum that suggest that Lawrence Gwozdz's performance on the "Music Minus One" Glazunov/von Koch concertos is one of the best out there. Gwozdz was a student and friend of Rascher, so while not the man himself, it's just a single degree of separation from Rascher.

Check it out HERE
There's something called the "Legendary Saxophonists Collection" of audio discs of historic classical players. You can search on the forum or on Google to find information about it. Some universities hold the collection; the easiest way to find the nearest one to you is probably Worldcat. The collection originally contained a live Rascher recording of the Glazunov, and now it seems to contain two live performances. I'm pretty sure there's no commercial recording by Rascher.
Reactions: 1
I have a recording of SMR playing the Glazunov live. Kelly’s is also quite good.
If a recording exists anywhere, the best bet would probably be at SUNY Fredonia which houses the Sigurd Rascher Collection at their Reed library. From their website:

In 2010-2011, a comprehensive audio preservation project resulted in the digitization of the collection's analog audio materials in the following formats: 78 RPM shellac, instantaneous transcription disc, 45 RPM disc, LP album, 1/4" reel to reel and cassette tape. These digitized materials are now available for patron use in-house only on the Rascher Listening Station in the Special Collections Reading Room.

Might be worth reaching out to Dr. Wildy Zumwalt who is the professor there & is currently writing a biography on Sigurd Rascher.
If a recording exists anywhere, the best bet would probably be at SUNY Fredonia which houses the Sigurd Rascher Collection at their Reed library. From their website:

In 2010-2011, a comprehensive audio preservation project resulted in the digitization of the collection's analog audio materials in the following formats: 78 RPM shellac, instantaneous transcription disc, 45 RPM disc, LP album, 1/4" reel to reel and cassette tape. These digitized materials are now available for patron use in-house only on the Rascher Listening Station in the Special Collections Reading Room.

Might be worth reaching out to Dr. Wildy Zumwalt who is the professor there & is currently writing a biography on Sigurd Rascher.
[/QUO
Yes at the archive you will find many recordings of glazunov! I will be there on Friday!
You can schedule an appointment online
1 - 8 of 8 Posts