Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm playing on a selmer D for classical tenor, but I'm thinking I should try the rascher mouthpieces. I've been looking for info on them but I really can't find much. How hard would it be to switch from the selmer to the rascher? And would the rascher even work well on my yamaha horn?

Any and all knowledge about them would be great.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Try one before you buy one. That would be a major concept and embouchure change. Ever try a Caravan tenor? Similar concept, but not as extreme a change. Also, most Rascher mouthpiece players I know had theirs refaced..so that adds some money to the change too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats another problem, I don't know where I'd be able to try one :(, and I've never tried a caravan.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,803 Posts
Right now I'm playing on a selmer D for classical tenor, but I'm thinking I should try the rascher mouthpieces. I've been looking for info on them but I really can't find much. How hard would it be to switch from the selmer to the rascher? And would the rascher even work well on my yamaha horn?

Any and all knowledge about them would be great.
Rascher addresses the difficulty of switching and provides other info here.

Yamaha/Rascher combination would be unusual, and some would probably even say it wouldn't "work." The Rascher is probably a more natural match to vintage Bueschers and Conns. But others have reported using this (or a similar mouthpiece) on modern instruments so there's no reason not to try it if you are so moved.

·
Registered
575 Posts
For a 100 dollar blind purchase, I'd say the safer one is the Caravan. The tip opening isn't as small, and the beak is a little more like a Selmer piece. A good way to try the Rascher "concept" on a budget is to get a vintage Conn piece. You can find those on ebay for 20-40 bucks and they are a lot like the Rascher pieces.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would the caravan mouthpiece work better on a yamaha horn?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Maybe, but that's coming from a guy that doesn't totally buy into the Large chamber/Large bore, small chamber/small bore gospel. I knew grad students at FSU (Rascher school) that played Raschers on Yamahas with perfect intonation, incredible projection...and competed in solo competitions on that setup. The Caravan was a nice setup for my SA-80 tenor when I was in grad school. If I were buying, I'd get get a Caravan and open it up...or a Morgan Classical. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts