Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Selmer lovers... I have a treat for you. This baritone is to my knowledge the earliest known Balanced Action of any size, and certainly the earliest BA bari. In my years I have only seen a handful of true balanced baris, so this one is beyond rare. Also note the engraving, which is completely original. The lacquer is most likely not original, but if redone it was an amazing job because there are no inconsistencies in the engraving depth and no signs of buffing. It is conceivable that it was lacquered over the engraving, which is the earliest version of the American style. It also has "US Pat. Pend." stamped on it in a completely different font/style below the serial number which gives more evidence to this being an early US import.

Amazingly, this saxophone has no real damage anywhere, nor any history of damage or abuse. The intonation is flawless and it's certainly the best sounding bari I have ever played. It's not for sale.

Enjoy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,391 Posts
Jason,,

Wow man thats some serious "Hornography"....
How did you come about getting that beauty and lets hear some sound clips.

·
Registered
913 Posts
well, it is "older" than mine, not sure about being the "rarest" though. Strange coincidence is your 20840 and my 21356 were both made in 1935 according to a selmer serial # chart I have. These are listed as being in the 2 year span called "RADIO IMPROVED" which just preceded BALANCED ACTION in 1936 and beginning with # 21751. Mine too is a gem, original lacquer, engraving intact, and plays like a dream with super action.

Who would believe that 1 let alone 2 of these babies would still be around and in play. 70 years later I'm doing TV and session work in big band and blues settings with it and gettin' the biggest, baddest bari sound you'd ever want to hear.

And oh yeah, not for sale either!

p.s. mine had one of those old MORGAN double chamber mouthpieces in the case which i let go for $500.............wish i still had it.

·
2,766 Posts
My BA alto is #20,706. There's a cat in NYC, Guy Sion, who works at Rayburn music that owns Selmer BA alto #20,705.

http://guysion.com/?p=7#comments

Our altos have no height adjusters on the bell/bow keys and a weird, triangular shaped low C# key.

There is an alto-man in Boston, Dave Chapman, who has a 20k BA alto just like these. He bought it from Joe Viola back in 1946. He had it gold plated about 15 years ago.

·
Registered
913 Posts
if that's the case (that yours are BA's and not RADIO IMPROVED) then my chart is wrong and both the bari's are BA's.............

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome info Andy! Thanks! That's getting us closer to knowing when the first Balanced Action was made. As for rarity of this one, it may or may not be the earliest one known, but BA baritones are exceedingly scarce regardless. I need to put up a video of it or something.

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if that's the case (that yours are BA's and not RADIO IMPROVED) then my chart is wrong and both the bari's are BA's.............
The official Selmer serial number charts are completely wrong. It's one of the worst bits of misinformation out there. The Mark VI chart is especially egregious given that both sopranos and baris made it well into the 300,000s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
Actually the rarest Bari sax of all time is the original Adolf sax baritone saxophone serial number One.

·
1,390 Posts
My BA alto is #20,706. There's a cat in NYC, Guy Sion, who works at Rayburn music that owns Selmer BA alto #20,705.

http://guysion.com/?p=7#comments

Our altos have no height adjusters on the bell/bow keys and a weird, triangular shaped low C# key.

There is an alto-man in Boston, Dave Chapman, who has a 20k BA alto just like these. He bought it from Joe Viola back in 1946. He had it gold plated about 15 years ago.
It's a small world, I know Dave, his Selmer alto is awesome, his sound is so fine. I've played so many gigs with him in the Kenny Hadley big band, and the Boston Big Band, back in the 90's. He's one of the finest lead alto saxophonists in the country. Here in Ohio we have a guy very similar to Dave, his name is Rick Johnston.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,052 Posts
Actually the rarest Bari sax of all time is the original Adolf sax baritone saxophone serial number One.
Applying some of that logic, thats no more rare than any serial number XXXXXX saxophone. they all have the same rarity of 1 saxophone/all saxophones :).

·
1,390 Posts
Applying some of that logic, thats no more rare than any serial number XXXXXX saxophone. they all have the same rarity of 1 saxophone/all saxophones :).
wow, I never thought of that! you are absolutly correct. All horns are rare, because they are the only one with that number....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey Jason,
Man that baritone is gorgeous! I bet it plays amazingly. I've played a couple of those BA baritones and have always loved them. My buddy has one thats in nice shape. I don't know about the serial number though. Have fun with that beautiful horn!!
B

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The official Selmer serial number charts are completely wrong. It's one of the worst bits of misinformation out there. The Mark VI chart is especially egregious given that both sopranos and baris made it well into the 300,000s.
Wow. Is there an accurate source/chart for Selmer serial number dates? I'm sure many people here would be interested.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
@ Rex: I have a photocopy of a serial number chart that Ralph Morgan compiled years ago and used to give out to people who asked for it. Ralph had ABSOLUTE faith in the accuracy, but since he compiled it, I guess he would. I posted it here once and someone posted that they had a horn with a dated purchase receipt from when it was bought new, and it didn't match the Morgan chart but was only off by 4 months. I'm not sure what to make of that discrepancy.

Personally, I believe that the Morgan chart is the best there is out there, even if not 100 % perfect.

This should be the link to that previous discussion...

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=68124&highlight=tharruff

@ Grant: I Played with Ric Johnston (He doesn't spell his first name with a 'K' on the end becuse it is a nickname for Eric, not Richard) many times when I lived in Dayton. He is the person who turned me on to Ralph Mogan mouthpieces. He had a 6E for Alto for sale...I played it...I bought it. I had been playing a metal Wolfe Tayne up to that point but was looking for a change.

Sorry to divert the thread briefly...on topic though...I LOVE the Bari...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Jason
Look at my rare Selmer BA/RI bari saxophone. I think this one is older then yours and may be one of the first ones still in existence. What do you or the others think about it! Check out the interesting engraving also.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wonderful instrument - what about its intonation and which setup do you use?

·
Registered
815 Posts
got an adolphe sax version with serial 838
silver plated engraved.
special thing is the Bb using lh12+rh stack key is with the same key mechanism as the lh1+rh1 fingering,where the latter simply lowers the rh stack key

1 - 20 of 24 Posts