Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really an odd duck and the only one I've ever seen. I believe it is a Martin stencil of their 'American' brand of 'saxello'. The only one of those I've ever seen was being held by King Curtis - it was the saxello he used on 'Soul Serenade'. AFAIK, he never had a King Saxello.
I believe it was made by Martin because it has soldered-in tone holes. Check it out, look for 'Rare Saxello'. I think he wants way too much for it because its not even all there and any parts needed would have to be made.
I would give a lot to just play King Curtis's Martin American because if its like the other Martins with the heavy tone rings, it has to have a great sound - and of course you can hear it on his record. I actually like the design of it much better than the King with its 90 degree bell.
All this is the primary reason I play a Chinese 'tipped-bell' soprano today. It definitely is more mellow than a straight soprano, even one with a curved neck.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Can we have a link to look at??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I e-mailed the seller as it is a Courturier made horn judged by the G# lever. I know they were sold under the Lyon & Healy name. I am 99% positive on this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I think this horn being discussed is similar to the one used by Frank Weir in his recordings - The Perfect Curved by Lyon & Healey. DAVE

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Yep, I saw a Paul Cohen article on this one years ago. Strictly speaking, it's not a "Saxello" since that was a trademark of HN White (King).

From the one photo it looks like at least a couple keys are missing. But I don't think it would be that tough to modify keys from a donor soprano of low value to work. It would still be a pretty big job, but if you did a total overhaul complete with a good silver or gold plate job, it would be one of the most unique horns ever. I think there must have been a lot fewer of these than the King Saxellos as this is the first one I've ever seen for sale and Saxellos come up on the market pretty often.

·
Registered
133 Posts
A beautiful little horn, and certainly unusual. I was lucky enough to see one of these in person about a month or so ago. I hope whoever ended up with this one is planning on restoring it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts