Sax on the Web Forum banner

Rare Selmer Tommy Dorsey Model Series I on Shopgoodwill

Tags
selmer
6K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  greatlakeswinds 
#1 ·
#7 ·
I can't remember what makes the so-called "Dorsey" model differ from the last iterations of the Super;
the so-called "Radio Improved" model . Is the neck and body a different specification ?

I'm sure the information is on here somewhere but I don't recall what thedifferences are .

This particular alto should have the one piece bell key guard though so I wonder if, like you said, it's just a Super w/ a VI neck.

#10 ·
It's a Radio Improved. Nothing more, nothing less. The Dorsey models had the B/A style key guards and I believe some had a more built up Bb key on the LH pinky spat. I'm pretty sure those are the only differences between them and a "regular" SSS saxophone. This one is clearly a RI (look at the stamp on the bell) with a VI neck. Might be a nice playing horn, but I already like mine just fine.

#12 ·
I have one of each (RI, Dorsey, BA).

- Both Dorsey Altos and Radio Improved Altos have the SSS included in the bell stamp.
- The serial number for RI’s is on the bell stamp like this horn.
- The serial number for Dorsey Altos is at the bottom of the body tube on the rear.

Other Dorsey features include the BA key guards, BA engraving pattern, and BA stamp but with the SSS added.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.