Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad news on Facebook from Attilio Berni:

Dear friends, this night of the thieves entered my studio and stolen some of the most important pieces of my collection.
I ask for help to all of you to spread and share the news and in case they have news I notice promptly (

As soon as possible, I will post detailed list of instruments with freshmen photos and descriptions Thank you!
·

Translated using Facebook translate feature.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
Sad to see something like this.

However if these were unique pieces from the Berni collection (therefore well documented with pictures and serial numbers) the most likely scenario is that the theives won’t be able to sell them.

The other possible scenario is the so called “ cavallo di ritorno” which means that the thieves will then return the stolen items against a ransom normally paid either from the owner or the insurance company.

·
38,888 Posts
certainly an instrument that cannot pass under the detection radar anywhere. Unless the theft was commissioned by another collector (which is not unheard of), the thieves will soon realize that these items are too hot.

In fact, the thing that they have carefully selecting this widely advertised collection (here in the video you can even see Berni opening the gate and disactivating the alarm system, which gave a lot of information to the thieves.

Another interesting detail is that Berni had already donated the collection to the council of a village close by.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,124 Posts
Literally, what a crime. It is also one of the craziest things. One must know something about horns to do this and yet to take off with no less than eight C-melody saxes is rather peculiar. It has to be pretty difficult to unload a Selmer Super bass sax unnoticed. Poor Mr Berni and recipients of his generous donation. Even if these horns find their way back, it is hard to imagine that they will be returned without damage.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I saw this on Facebook including some of the pictures that SOTW tells me I don't have permission to access from here. There is an enormous black market for vintage horns, particularly in Japan and also now in China and if the horns end up there, they will become part of a private collection and never heard of again. which is very unfortunate but it also almost guarantees that the horns will be handled with white gloves.

But, Milandro, you are right, there is something that is not quite right about this whole story, maybe we'll find out

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on Facebook:

Dear friends,
It is with great relief and satisfaction that I inform you that I am a little bit ago I was notified by the new commissioner of the finding of some of the tools stolen from my studio on

With immense gratitude I have the pleasure of posting the photo of the agents who, with great sense of duty have been architects of the

These are the following tools:
1. Sax High Selmer Sa80iii-Millennium, Limited Series, produced in only 100 specimens, freshman n. 608143
2. Sax Bass Selmer Super Sax #16462, Silver, belonged to Adrian Rollini
3. Baritone Baritone Buescher "custom built", with Art Deco Engraving, lacquered, Freshman 274748
4. Sax Baritone Conn Artist Virtuoso De Luxe, completely engraved, Oval Bell with naked woman #113879
5. Sax Cmelody Selmer Model 22 #3294, gold plated, belonged to Rudy Wiedoeft
6. Sax Sopranino Curved Rampone & Cazzani, #12257, silver
7. Sax Tenor Buescher 400 top hat & dog, lacquered, engraved bell, #302842
8. Sax tenor keilwerth sx90r shadow, #120173, black lacquered, silver keys, abalone madreperle, entirely engraved

I fully trust in law enforcement, police and police, for finding other stolen tools....

·
38,888 Posts
your links are not working

repeat the procedure by leaving the box reference locally clicked

·
38,888 Posts
are the pictures on line anywhere?

It seems that you afre linking the name of an image file but not the location of the file (https....)

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is heartbreaking, even more so when you consider the condition these horns could potentially be in when found (particularly the Grafton).

·
38,888 Posts
I've tried several times already.
I downloaded them then tried to upload them here.
it's not letting me upload either.

Here you are , I had no problems to do this. I am not trying to be a wise equine. In the spirit of service to this community, I am happy to discuss the procedure that I’ve used which is what I have always done.

Right click and select copy link to the image. Go advanced, past the link onto the box ( from URL) which appears after clicking the projection screen.

Publish.

From what they stole this seems to be a “ grab and run” job. They stole things of quality and things without specific collector’s appeal.

Apparently they left many more things. At this point, seen the type of run, this may be the same band of saxophone’s thieves which has robbed many shops around Europe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts