Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I found this one, and it's something like I've never seen. Clearly old, a sort of simple system flute, but that low end spike and the "crown" of the head is something else. I assume the spike is to create weight in the bottom to balance the added weight on the head.

What an oddity, anyone ever seen such a thing?

44009154.png

More here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dd46k60xt2yl0vx/AACyI0cIzVGerbi3b2hLdz6ja?dl=0

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
I think this is a walking stick flute, there are other examples the top by the headjoint is the handle and the finial is what hits the ground. I have seen some made of ivory too in a flute collection.

Mostly novelty items, but I have seen them before.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, I guess I'm so used to people just turning instruments into lamps or fixing them on the wall, that this was so way out of my thought.

It seems plausable, specially because of the end spike. I think it's cool.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for pointing the facebook group out. I just sent a request to join, it seems interesting.

also the collection Francesco Carreras in Italy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a completely unrelated search, I just found out that the Nacional Music Museum of Portugal also has cane flutes.

Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
I think this is a walking stick flute, there are other examples the top by the headjoint is the handle and the finial is what hits the ground. I have seen some made of ivory too in a flute collection. Mostly novelty items, but I have seen them before...
What a fund of diverse knowledge you are. :)

Thanks, I just retain information that I have happened to come across :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts