Sax on the Web Forum banner

Rare Couesnon Tenor or C?

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  vries1 
#1 ·
Hi

I have Couesnon with i guess rare bell size comparing to body. Is it normal or weird, maybe it is C melody? I couldn't find exactly the same item on web. Can anyone say something about?

Bicycle part Automotive exhaust Composite material Nickel Gas

Musical instrument Cylinder Gas Tin Metal

Automotive exhaust Bicycle part Composite material Nickel Wind instrument

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Material property Font Automotive lighting

Tomas

See less See more
#4 ·
or not... THis horn (since it doesn’t have two octave keys) is not as old as you may think and probably made in the late ’30 or even the early ’50 ( WWII had left many things in the same shape they had before the war, see the Citroën traction avant a car made in the ’50 with a shape definitely of the ’30 when it was made for the first time, it was made to almost 10 years after the end of the war)

since that 445 (unlikely to be a serial number) might indicate a slightly higher pitch than A 440.

A=445 was a pitch used in many orchestras , but, unlike instruments pitched in A=457, it would be quite possible to be played together with A=440 instruments.

As for the short range. Both in France and Italy, there were many brands producing , in the ’50, instrument with a short range, in Italy these even has the name of “ Ministeriali” and were produced also in the ’60 and ’70.

#8 ·
I know that, but I am quite sure that these (like many other Belgian and Bohemian short range horns) isn’t as old as the shape might let one suppose. As I said, immediately after WWii and for some time later in many counties ( France and Italy included ) there was a production of horns which were the continuation of models sold just before the war.

#9 ·
I know that, but I am quite sure that these (like many other Belgian and Bohemian short range horns) isn't as old as the shape might let one suppose. As I said, immediately after WWii and for some time later in many counties ( France and Italy included ) there was a production of horns which were the continuation of models sold just before the war.
Here is a "L'armée" model from 1931
http://thesax.info/piwigo/picture.php?/19732/category/2326
and it has an automatic octave key. The models produced later (after 1935, because Couesnon had a gap in its production) were the Monopole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.