Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know that it must be rare because Otto Link didn't start making these until the 1930's. What is baffling about this particular piece is the baffle itself. It looks to be more of a vent than a baffle. This type of baffle would prevent the reed from vibrating. I guess that would reduce the sound to nothing and would technically qualify as an extremely effective acoustical baffle.

I've seen this done to old Links a few times. There must have been a fad back in the day to hog out the inside of a metal Link (the opposite of today's fad). This one is the most radical that I've seen. Usually the hack job ends when the black tooth guard becomes visible from inside the chamber. In keeping with the pretend description, the seller could claim that this Link was worked on by Rahsaan Roland Kirk.

Mark

View attachment 239584

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,437 Posts
'Well, I do have a bad bite.'

Rare Otto link prototype from the '20s!

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
Link started making mouthpieces in the 20's, but the one on eBay is an early 40's Tone Master that got refaced!

Probably opened up too much from a 3 tip and when the bite plate came out it become this fantastic airy piece!

The 9* tip indication (which is actually a music note on the shank) is also a common red alert for sellers not aware of what they sell!

I'm still sure Mojo (or another good refacer) could save this piece, fixing the metal gap and putting in a new bite plate.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I sent the seller a message and asked of it was a joke listing. His response: "Is this a joke?" Seller is clueless.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I sent the seller a message and asked of it was a joke listing. His response: "Is this a joke?" Seller is clueless.
Gotta love it. I used to *try* to give kind, correct explanations to sellers who obviously didn't know their arse from a hole in the ground regarding what they were trying to sell. Pretty much every time, "oh thanks" and they keep it listed EXACTLY the way it was. I've decided to let them drown in their own stupidity. All out of F's to give...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts