Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
YSS62, YAS62, YTS62, YBS62, Sopranino
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

Can anyone please tell me the tip opening for this piece? I purchased one a couple of weeks ago and I'm liking it a lot. I just want to have a benchmark against which to judge any potential future purchases.

I haven't been able to find the specifics online.

Many thanks.

Richard

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have one of these and I would say that it is a pretty standard 6 Meyer type tip, i.e. c. .076".
I don't have the right equipment to measure mine, but I'll be seeing someone who does in the near future: if I can remember, I will ask him to do so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too believe it's .076. Truly a wonderful piece.

Just curious what reeds have you find to work best with it? To me Vandoren Reds seems to work well, but it would be nice to find some alternatives without having to go through the whole repertoire that is out there

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too believe it's .076. Truly a wonderful piece.

Just curious what reeds have you find to work best with it? To me Vandoren Reds seems to work well, but it would be nice to find some alternatives without having to go through the whole repertoire that is out there
Thanks H3nri

So far I've tried Rico, Rico Royal, Vandoren V16, La Voz, Steuer, Marca (Jazz, Pro Trad and Pro Superior), Rigotti Wild, BSS, D'Addario Reserve cane reeds in 2 or 2.5 and Legere American and Signature cuts, Forestone Traditionals and Bari for synthetics in Soft, medium and 2 or 2.5.

I've found what I experienced on all my other horn with any other mouthpiece to be consistent on the RN Maestra. And that is Bari reeds are nearly useless, Legere and Forestone can provide a decent 'practice reed' when you want something low fuss and low maintenance. BSS and Marca provide a darker sound (sometimes stuffy but may suit some peoples tone concept or help balance a brighter piece) and more resistant feel at the same strength. The Marca Pro Superior 2 is very good for me.
The Rigotti and Steuer are really fine reeds, as are the D'Addario Reserve with a lighter/brighter sound. I love the Steuer on my Baritone/Durga combo.
The La Voz (medium soft) are super fun because they are so easy to play. But I feel they lack colour and complexity. Again a good practice reed if you just want to blow for an hour or quickly learn a tune.
The V16 is probably my favorite, with a solid, even tone across the whole range and good consistency through a box of 10. I would take a box of these to a gig and leave the rest at home.
The consistent surprise is the standard Rico blue and orange boxes. Great reeds, great price and you often find a gem that plays brilliantly.

The older I get, the more I understand life is too short for synthetic reeds.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have or have had 6 Navarro pieces on different instrument voices. All of them liked Vandoren reeds most of them work well with LaVoz as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just Joe - do you still use yours, or have you moved on from it?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
This thread had me curious. I too like to have points of reference on tip openings. I measured my RN Maestra 5 alto piece. It measures .075.
There isn't really any definitive info on Navarro's tip openings that I could find on the net, but I have an alto 5 and a 6 and I'll get them measured up when I next see my friend with the right gear. But, for what it's worth, I think the alto pieces are supposed to conform to the standard idea of Meyer tips. - that's obviously not much help if your 5 measures nearly a standard 6, but I think Navarro's hand finished work is of the 'feels like a' variety rather than mathematically precise.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have or have had 6 Navarro pieces on different instrument voices. All of them liked Vandoren reeds most of them work well with LaVoz as well.
I agree. Navarro told me (when he visited the UK in 2016 or17) that he basically used Vandoren Javas. I like Javas but I sometimes feel that the Green variety are a bit transparent in tone so I used V16s on my alto 5 for a while and got good results.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Loving the V16 2s on my 6.

Not to hijack my own thread, but did any of you compare the RN Maestra with a Morgan Jazz 6M or 6C?

I am interested in a dark sound on alto.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I agree. Navarro told me (when he visited the UK in 2016 or17) that he basically used Vandoren Javas. I like Javas but I sometimes feel that the Green variety are a bit transparent in tone so I used V16s on my alto 5 for a while and got good results.
I used red box java and blue box. I was never a fan of the green box Java. On tenor I do use blue box Bass clarinet on some pieces but it depends on the baffle and generally a half strength up.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016, Musician and Store Ow
494 Posts
Hi ROC,

I never spent much time on it, that piece is one of many in my store that I have for customers to try and select from. I just remember it feeling "big" for a 5 when I play tested. Then I saw this thread I decided to measure it and offer a reply.

Best wishes on your journey.

Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Loving the V16 2s on my 6.

Not to hijack my own thread, but did any of you compare the RN Maestra with a Morgan Jazz 6M or 6C?

I am interested in a dark sound on alto.
I’ve played Morgan Jazz L side by side with Maestra. If you are looking for a dark sound, that is an excellent piece. Darker than Maestra. Never played the M chamber, but that is brighter than L according to Morgan website.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts