Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play a little lick (or 'quote') that I heard Joe Henderson play. Mind you most of the time I play it cleanly and accurately. After all, if you're going to 'quote' someone it needs to be precise and word for word. When I flub it up I am dejected, not cause anyone knows, but because I know.

Anyway, other people I play with are trying to 'quote' me 'quoting' Joe and they're not getting the lick right -- disappointing to me, but I am sure Joe isn't happy about it either! :0

FYI, (and it's been said before), don't quote me quoting Joe, just quote Joe.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Are you certain it's not Joe quoting someone else who quoted someone else who may have been quoting from the future and quoting one of those other friends of yours who you think is misquoting you who may be misquoting Joe?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Swampcabbage said:
Are you certain it's not Joe quoting someone else who quoted someone else who may have been quoting from the future and quoting one of those other friends of yours who you think it misquoting you who may be misquoting Joe?
You're making me dizzy:compress::dazed::shaking2:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
hgiles said:
After all, if you're going to 'quote' someone it needs to be precise and word for word.
I don't entirely agree with this statement.

I play a couple of Coltrane quotes, which I've heard others play so they
probably were not Coltrane originals.

Anyway, I enjoy altering the quotes, like putting different timing on
some notes, or adding/subtracting some notes.

Therefore I wouldn't get all dejected because the quote is not 'exact'.
That's the essence of jazz, to put your own spin on it. Sometimes
that's when the best music comes out.

If you hear yourself not 'making it', go with the flow and turn the quote
into your own original thing.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I don't think of the term "quote" as applying to playing a Joe Henderson lick (or a piece of vocabulary from any other jazz musician). I use the term "quote" to mean playing the melody to another song in an improvised solo, like Dexter and Sonny Rollins often do/did.

I remember an interview with Sonny where he was asked about his quoting of other tunes in his solos. He replied that it was not any kind of premeditated thing. He is improvising a line, and in the middle of a phrase realizes, "Hey, that's the first few notes of _______ ." But then, instead of abandoning that line, he figures that since he heard the first part of the quote, he might as well go ahead and finish it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kavala, I get what you're saying. Evolving the language is what it's all about in the end, but you got to get the original right first, before you go and start playing 'outside'. Be true to the source first, then put your own spin on it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you can do it well its OK, if you can't it's not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts