Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just got back from an honors band in upper east tennessee. The kid sitting next to me was a sophomore and could go up to altissimo E. I can only hit A, and only on the F plus the first finger on the right hand and the 1 and 2 on the right hand side keys. I cant hit A on any other fingerings and have difficulty on the one i use. Ive been doing overtones and longtones every day and cant hit the second octave on the overtones. What am i doing wrong?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Your embouchure isn't changing to get into the altissimo register is it? The only real change is in the airflow, also, are you playing alto? Have you learned as many fingerings as you can for the F# without using your F# key? G and G# as well. You also need to learn to play altissimo notes as if they were any other note on the horn. A good way to do this is to do your scales as quick as you can tongueing every note, legato, and to the highest pitch you can hit without slowing down at all. On the scales which I cannot play 3 octaves, I play the full range of the horn. This teaches anyone better control over the whole instrument. Try to keep the same dynamic on all notes. I.E. In the case that someone cannot play an altissimo g, play the G scale as G up to The E or F# depending on your range and all the way down to the low B, and back up to the G. Anyway I apologize for rambling. But maybe your answer is in there somewhere. The fingerings that I have found to have worked on every alto and soprano I have played for Altissimo B and C are, The same as D and bE, that C comes out flat on a lot of horns though, be aware of that. Don't try to jump the gun or you will learn it wrong and have to relearn to get any better at it.

Best of Luck :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts