Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
...Finally! The comment "100% British Company" is an extract from a lengthy and glowing testimonial written by renowned soprano saxophonist Mornington Lockett. Those who know anything about Marketing/PR and don't just buy and flog stuff on eBay will know you can't be responsible for what people write. Unless, of course, you're a tabloid newspaper reader! In which case you accept everything verbatim!
There is nothing wrong with the horns not being 100% British made as long as one if forthcoming with information about this which is the reason why it would have been beneficial to show that the horns are assembled in Britain with Chinese or Taiwanese parts and not be elusive and secretive about it.

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
Am I being over sensitive here rofl .... Or did I detect a bit of attitude in that last post from RawBrass

Am I being over sensitive here rofl .... Or did I detect a bit of attitude in that last post from RawBrass
Really! I hadn't noticed it! But hey! He says he's got more business out of all of this........ so at least he's happy about that!

Banned
To the two 'doubting Thomas's' who didn't get the answers to questions they felt they were entitled I would ask they substantiate their justification for the accusations made by posting their musical and scientific credentials on the forum!
Does getting high scores on computer video games count?

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Random Mass - wow. i would be wondering if my alto was going to weigh 6, 60, or 600 pounds. assuming the acoustics dont change with material, finish, etc. why would i want a heavy horn. assuming material does matter, then id be accepting random tone quality too? either way, id pass on those horns.

Now if you try them and they play nice, does it really matter why?
Mea culpa, I had intellectual curiosity about their material. Excuse me, I'm a scientist and a musician. I'm over it. No interest left. Just another "Hey, look at me!" followed by a foot-stomping, petulant Grand Exit... Not so much different than average adolescent behavior.

OK, what's the next cute name and preposterous claim?

Distinguished SOTW Technician.
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Oh boy, perhaps they've been getting lessons in manners from Jeff Powell. Shame.

The lack of any information other than quotes from musicians makes you wonder why they can't add mroe themselves. If we are to reply on the quotes it a bit of a contradiction saying we shouldn't believe what they say. Why put up the quotes if you don't stand by them???

Thet make claims on their website which are bound to lead to questions. If I asked questions about double glazing I wouldn't expect to get a lot of questions in return. What the heck should it matter what my qualifications are? Most double glazing agents will be happy to explain how it works.

[For the record I'm not in competition with these guys. I'm not trying to sell anything here and I chose a username after being on the saxophone newsgroup for several years using my real name. I'm something of a sceptic that gets disturbed by thing like detox which is not recognised by science. There are plenty of celebrity endorsements for such things. Even those guys will try and explain how it works. There's enough BS in the world as it is!]

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Oh boy, perhaps they've been getting lessons in manners from Jeff Powell. Shame.

The lack of any information other than quotes from musicians makes you wonder why they can't add more themselves. If we are to reply on the quotes it a bit of a contradiction saying we shouldn't believe what they say. Why put up the quotes if you don't stand by them???
Yepper. I even jumped through their hoops to contact them directly and still got blown off. I question their implied sincerity and anything else they have to say.

Done.

Distinguished SOTW Member
selmer 26 nino, 22 curved sop, super alto, King Super 20 and Martin tenors, Stowasser tartogatos
YAGE in only 4 posts - a SotW record!

Does anyone else feel used?

Enjoy and good luck.
I am a firm believer in karma. What goes around comes around, both good and bad. Life is too short to worry about this kind of behavior. They have to live with themselves, but you don't have to live with them.

I'm starting to get to the point where I try to let the misleading and fraudulent claims go. It would be nice if these guys would stand up straight, but they are obviously spineless.

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
Given the feeling I got I wonder at how long they will be in business. So many competitors so tight a market I hope they treat their customers differently

I remember a similar case with the Schille saxophones so called made in Brussels Belgium. They claimed that they were making saxophones, flutes and clarinets in Belgium but then later (after being pressed) admitted to just being assembled in Belgium. They failed to ever show any facilities producing saxophones, flutes and clarinets in Mechelen on their site or you tube video (still up by the way!)

I offered to visit and video their workshop and production process but they never answered to my private emails or on SOTW or saxforum.nl.

They disappeared shortly after (Herr Schille, aGerman technician, had been previously employed in another 鈥 japanese鈥(?) saxophone production by the name of NAKAYAMA which had also disappeared in thin air ).

I sincerely hoped that Raw Brass were different and would open their shop to a delegation of interested UK SOTW members and proudly show us what they have to sell.

Again, the claims of their metal process being of any influence on sound are not different from Yamaha saying that mass equals depth of sound (or something like that!) but that doesn鈥檛 worry me anymore, I am used to it , everybody in the saxophone making makes claims of that sort and I鈥檝e just learned to disregard them.

I believe in being telling the truth about what you make. I have advised a friend of mine who has a factory in Taiwan to mark her saxophones with 鈥 proudly made in Taiwan鈥 . Exactly as I would hope that Chinese makers would.

I am happy that Powell went back making a saxophone in the USA, they make it from scratch and show us what they make. It costs an arm and a leg but at least one knows what he is buying.

That's a different Powell.
Yes, to a point....

http://thesax.info/?p=1383

"......One thing that always struck me as odd was that the Buffet-Powell saxophone was designed and patented by Edward V. Powell, the son of Verne Q. Powell of Verne Q. Powell Flutes. Hey, the approximate date that the Buffet-Powell sax was introduced is 1930. Powell Flutes was founded in 1927. Makes you wonder why father & son didn't decide to produce both saxophones and flutes together."

Blessing is a division of Powell flutes................ somehow a different Powell

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
So bypassing all the snotty holier than thou comments... who is going to go along on March 30th?

Hopefully someone can post some constructive feedback.

We all know that good players will sound good even on less than stelar equipment, dont we? Its not clear if "regular joes" will be able to play test the instruments on that occasion, it would be nice if they could.

Shame the people behind this horn threw their toys from the pram just as we were getting past what appeared to be marketing BS and hyperbola.

And did Dr G ever get an answer to his emailed technical quesitons?

FWIW I never took 100% british company to mean 100% british manufacture, and frankly it doesnt matter. What matters is what it costs, how consistent they can push them out of the door and above all how do they play.

I look forward with curiosity to any feedback from people attending the March gig, beyond that its all speculation and hot air at best.

Registered
Ha, just read this, very entertaining. My favorite bit was where raw brass wanted people like Dr. G and some of the other acoustics savvy guys on here to post their justification. That's preposterous. What if they produced pro horns and before selling you the product said, "Well first you have to prove you are a pro." I'm sure that wouldn't happen, and whoever replied with whatever "balls" comment toward Oric Muso was a complete idiot. I liked how you guys handled it, and how butt hurt Raw Brass got, and how they completely ignored both the acoustic and random mass brass pieces of the questioning. They didn't even give a way to find out the answers. Of course they won't become rich off of their products if they are all pricks, especially the creator of the instruments. Another great piece was how they use the fact that the creator was a "professional musician". Well ****, didn't know that being able to use a remote control perfectly made me competent enough to make one. I've met a couple "professional musicians", great players, but it's hit and miss on the character of the guys. I wish some of the guys on here would make saxes, most from what I've read would at least be great at interacting with their buyers. Maybe Dr G(science), milandro(guy who tells everybody the exact truth), and a couple other guys on here should make a sax company, they sure enough would become rich off of their product, and would be true and blunt, but would not me immature enough to prove through their own avoiding that the material of their saxophone is BS.

thanks for the appreciation Maiaihii , I hope to be able to match this VERY flattering definition of myself......... I can only say that I am sincere but I cannot pretend to hold any universal truth within my thoughts, we all have our version of it and sometimes these versions clash with each other.

That鈥檚 why it is important to present the facts as objectively as possible and to give our contribution in terms of interpretations of those facts in a debate. If the facts have been laid out correctly then anybody can hopefully form his informed opinion about anything.

Creating a company takes way more than just be able to criticise one, I know it from first hand experience. It is a difficult thing and , as they say, if it would be easy anybody would do it!

It isn鈥檛 easy But as long as one presents a good and appropriately priced product with sufficient honesty and integrity you can always find a market for any bonafide product.

In my opinion this is the only way that I would choose to play the market ( It might sound naive but I know a thing or two about sales believe me!) in any sector. You need to uphold standards high enough to gain respect and credibility , both things that are extremely difficult to earn and very easy to loose.

Registered
It isn't easy But as long as one presents a good and appropriately priced product with sufficient honesty and integrity you can always find a market for any bonafide product.

In my opinion this is the only way that I would choose to play the market ( It might sound naive but I know a thing or two about sales believe me!) in any sector. You need to uphold standards high enough to gain respect and credibility , both things that are extremely difficult to earn and very easy to loose.
Sounds like a successful business right there, well with the exception of "loose" haha.

Premium Member
You gotta remember that Milandro's first language is not English. His written English is so fluent that it's difficult to remember that fact.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts