Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 96 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
maybe Morgan could be invited to visit the premises of the new large factory........ :bluewink:

Distinguished SOTW Member
selmer 26 nino, 22 curved sop, super alto, King Super 20 and Martin tenors, Stowasser tartogatos
I think it means they take the raw stock to church at odd hours.

Distinguished SOTW Technician.
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The new Jazz UK mag should be online soon. It has a feature on them that I was told about. It seems to be a small firm making just a few instruments. I don't know how they can produce stuff at that price. How many hourse does it take to build a sax?

Registered
I'm suprised that the word "NANO" hasn't come up yet. Truly random brass would be a technological accomplishment. Maybe nano air bubbles could be introduced randomly just before the metal solidified creatind a nonspecific porosity. Gee I think I want to make a saxophone!

The new Jazz UK mag should be online soon. It has a feature on them that I was told about. It seems to be a small firm making just a few instruments. I don't know how they can produce stuff at that price. How many hourse does it take to build a sax?
and a clarinet , and a flugelhorn, and a trumpet............

Registered
Just noticed an announcement on http://www.sandybrownjazz.co.uk/whatsnew.html for a performance on March 30th in London - it's a long web page, just search for the word "Random".

Interestingly the venue includes the gentleman that played the sound samples on Morgan Fry's "metal vs. rubber mouthpiece test".

Registered
Raw Brass sent me a soprano (straight and curved necks supplied) and it's really excellent. I have a Mk6 and a Yamaha 62 also - the Mk6 has a great sound and character, but unfortunately the intonation has a little too much "character"! The 62 has great intonation but not so much fullness to the sound. To my very pleasant surprise the RB sop seems to have it all... Whatever the mumbo jumbo the proof is in the pudding. I'll put some clips up on my website in due course.
Dave O'Higgins

Discussion Starter · #28 ·
No, it's not the proof. They do seem to be great instruments which makes it a great shame they are coming out with this unscientific rubbish. Making ridiculous claims doesn't stop them being good. People like Mauriat let the sound of their instruments do the talking.
Some of the guys in that Raw Brass band are top top players. The instruments must be good for them to like them. I think they should snip the BS.

Registered
Thanks Dave for sharing your first-hand experience!

Registered
Many thanks to all who contributed to this string. Obviously, there is no way of determining the authority and expertise of those who submitted technical comment. Nor is it possible to address each individual assertion. Therefore, I propose those of you who consider it a worthwhile exercise and are technically minded email their questions to Chris Waters at [email protected]
Chris was formally the senior acoustic engineer for Goodman's Speakers as well as being Classicfm Music Teacher of The Year 2010. Plus, being a professional musician! As for the statements made about our products on the website they're all extracted from testimonials received ( without reward) from high profile professional musicians! I've listed some of them below.
If anyone wishes to come to The Forge in Camden on Friday, 30th March they can speak directly to any of the following artists who'll be appearing as 'The Raw Brass All Stars Band'. They'll also be able to speak with Chris Waters. If a complimentary ticket is required please contact me, Tony Rodwell, at [email protected] Those appearing are Simon Spillett, Dave O'Higgins, Julian Marc Stringle, Damon Brown, Paul Higgs, Bennett Soundy (NYJO) and Digby Fairweather. All of whom will play Raw Brass Random Mass Instruments!
Interested parties should also 'google' 'Paul Higgs Trumpet' on youtube.

Testimonials -
"I love playing this trumpet (Damon Brown Signature RMRB & Bell Stayless鈩 [sic]) The response, the feel and above all the beautiful tone throughout the range make it a pleasure to play. As soon as I blew it I decided to use it on my upcoming gigs and recordings and I was thrilled with the results. The warmth and depth of the sound are apparently in part attributable to its unique design which incorporates a rimless and stayless bell. The instruments also look good and you can feel someone has thought hard about the details. I also enjoyed the flugelhorn and now can't wait to try the long model cornet. It's exiting to see an innovative British made instrument on the market. Good luck to Raw Brass." - Damon Brown
"On my travels as a sax player and educator I am often lucky enough to be offered the chance to informally appraise new products and instruments. Raw Brass are a tiny UK company based in the South of England, where they produce a relatively small number of their innovative instruments. The guys are dedicated to their groundbreaking design concepts and also offering something of a bespoke service. The soprano sax I tried plays really freely, has spot-on intonation and a real zing to the sound. I gather this is due to the unlacquered brass and the revolutionary bell, made incorporating 'random mass', and which intriguingly is rimless. I don't pretend to understand all this, but the horn certainly plays and projects. Pro sax players and saxophone enthusiasts will do well do keep a close eye on future developments coming from this young, pioneering, 100% British company." - Mornington Lockett
"The Raw Brass Tenor Saxophone combines unique design features, eye-catching aesthetics and sonic capabilities to create a 21st century saxophone for 21st century musicians. In a trade monopolised at one end by long-established brand names and at the other by inferior facsimiles, Raw Brass can be applauded for coming up with a saxophone which acknowledges many of the tenets of previously successful manufacturers but which has a genuine identity all its own. The rimless bell and metallurgic properties of the lacquer less body are probably best explained by those in the know, but as a player who has played many of the leading "classic" tenor saxophones and found most newer instruments lacking in tonal consistency, projection and warmth; let me say that the Raw Brass tenor has all these necessary qualities in abundance. I sincerely wish Raw Brass all the very best in finding its own very deserved place on the international pantheon of instrument manufacturers." - Simon Spillett
"….the best clarinet I've ever played"
"….better than my Mk 6!" -Julian Marc Stringle
"I've been thrilled at the arrival of the Raw Brass flugelhorn. Because of its unique acoustic design it not only furnishes the established mellow tonality which distinguishes any flugelhorn but also allows an intensity of production which in terms of power virtually turns it into a viable alternative to a trumpet if required. In addition to this extraordinary tonal versatility, the horn's revolutionary design not only makes playing extra comfortable in terms of physical support but - quite incidentally - looks both aesthetically beautiful; in short, a visual - as well as an auditory - knockout. Quite the best flugelhorn I've ever played, and - in my view - an essential addition to any serious brass-player's armoury!" -
Digby Fairweather

are you going to invite some British members to visit your production facilities and show them instruments in the making ?

Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks for replying. Shame you don't even attempt to explain what the supposed magic properties of random mass raw brass is. I think it would be better to reply here for all to see.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Many thanks to all who contributed to this string. Obviously, there is no way of determining the authority and expertise of those who submitted technical comment. Nor is it possible to address each individual assertion. Therefore, I propose those of you who consider it a worthwhile exercise and are technically minded email their questions to Chris Waters at [email protected] ...
Thank you. I have sent an e-mail requesting technical information regarding "random brass". I am not looking for testimonials from musicians. I am a scientist and well-able to translate whatever technical matter exists to my SotW friends and colleagues.

I look forward to a clearing of the smoke.

Thank you.

Registered
Perhaps Random Mass will be the next villain for Austin Powers, throwing buzzwords like buzz saws.

Or maybe Random Mass is sort of like "variety meats" in low-priced bologna. A little copper, a little zinc, a little iron, a little depleted uranium...who's going to know?

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
Well, considering that at best material differences are barely detectable, what the big deal about one that both amplifies, a physical impossibility for a material afaik, and attenuates sound which I dont understand why a property that lessens sound is trumpeted (sorry couldn't help myself) either they need a new cypopywriter or some sort of transplant.

I am glad to see that the horns are quite credible according to some pro's

Distinguished SOTW Member.
are you going to invite some British members to visit your production facilities and show them instruments in the making ?
I would have the same question. I assume that all of the stamping, tube forming, and buffing equipment, along with mandrels and finishing equipment, etc. would require a fairly sizable work space.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
21 - 40 of 96 Posts