Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Rampone's tipped-bell semi-curved "saxello" soprano design is gorgeous, and (from recordings) their sound seems to be as nice as their looks. They've given the same treatment to a nino too - see https://youtu.be/jojXfJsoadE. They call that the "saxellino."

Has anyone here laid hands on one? I've seen good things about RC ninos in other threads, but nobody seems to mention this particular model.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
517 Posts
I own and perform on a Rampone curved sopranino which is an excellent instrument. I use it mostly for my demonstrations. Lately I've played an adaptation of Cowell's "Hymn and Fuguing Tune #18" (originally for soprano and contrabass) in my adaptation for sopranino and Bb Subcontrabass Tubax with it.
My main performance sopranino is a Mark VI with high F#. I did have a chance to spend some time with both the Rampone straight sopranino and Saxellino. They were both excellent; as good a modern sopranino as I've played (and I have played many). Either could easily replace my Mark VI. There was no difference in tone between the straight and semi curved, (both were a little darker than my curved model), but the ergonomics were easier on the Saxellino than the straight one.
All are highly recommended if affordable.
Paul Cohen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts