Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Their website now lists a bass, but no actual horn is pictured - so I'm guessing this hasn't rolled out yet? Still, RC is an interesting maker.

·
Premium Member
Buffet Powell Alto (1932) / Selmer S. III Soprano (2001)+T. Wanne Ambika
1,206 Posts
My woodwind store in Berlin has a vintage Bass from R&C - supposingly between 1920-1930s, low B - high Eb, wonderfully made actually, what a great company. So it wouldn´t suprise me at all if a contemporary Bass from them would be pretty pretty good!

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,492 Posts
I spoke to R&C several years ago and they did say they were resuming the production of basses ( in ancient times they had them). They had looked around (Orsi was discontinuing thei Bass and Contrabass line) and found that the so called machinery consisted in very just old wooden “ molds” , so they were developing their own .

They must have got now far enough with the development.

One thing, Rampone has a very limited capacity, not so long ago they received and proposal of an order for 15 curved sopranino. They said , nice, but we make one a year.

I don’t know how many basses will they make in a year and how long it will take. Larger companioes (Keilwerth) do this only on special order and it takes a while before they can fulfill it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I chatted for a little bit with an R&C rep at the opening of the Rovner showroom after trying their sopranino (surprisingly fun horn btw). I don't remember much of what she said about it, only that they were just about ready to put out a bass.
She also said that in the long haul they want to expand their production, establish in the US market, and become a real contender in the saxophone world. Ambitious, but I think they can do it if they play their cards right.

I will actually be calling the US showroom in the next few days anyway to set up an appointment. I will try to remember to ask them about the bass while I'm on the phone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,492 Posts
My woodwind store in Berlin has a vintage Bass from R&C - supposingly between 1920-1930s, low B - high Eb, wonderfully made actually, what a great company. So it wouldn´t suprise me at all if a contemporary Bass from them would be pretty pretty good!
I think it reads A. Rampone ( so Alfonso Rampone) which is NOT the same thing as Rampone & Cazzani .

Despite being in the same village the two Rampone family were only a distant relation and their models were radically different. I have spoken about these being two different brands on many occasions here.

Alfonso Rampone saxophones were heavily inspired by Conn, the bass looks no different in that respect.

As for the capability of the company to expand production, well, I have visited a coupled of times and production is as stretched as it possibly can at the moment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts