Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time post, I recently bought a Mauriat online and have noticed the bizz b flat is considerably lower than My Yamaha Alto, is anyone out there who can lead me in the right direction in removing the abolonie touch pad on the key. then to build it up to be similar size as the straight B key.

I live in the out back of Australia, not easy to get into a store, Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks Andrew

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Re: Raising the bizz key

I had a Yamaha tenor with the same problem, and my tech used contact cement to attach a second, shorter pearl on top of the one that's already there. If you remove the one that's there, I'd try slipping a small plastic disc (maybe a small nylon washer?) under it and then gluing them down on top of one another. A trip to the hardware store will probably result in something you can sand down to fit.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts

You could fabricate a new pearl holder and pearl and attach it to the key, but that would include considerable work to include key removal, removal of the old pearl and holder, silver solder the new pearl holder on and refinish and repad the key. IMO gluing on another pearl on top would be a cheap and effective solution, although not necessarily a cosmetically pleasing one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts

You could have a thicker pad installed in the bis key or the existing one removed and reinstalled with more shellac or shims in behind it to raise the height of the pearl, or have a thinner pad fitted in the LH1 fingerplate to lower LH1 in relation to the bis key.

But an easy DIY solution is to stick a cork or a button onto the existing bis key pearl.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts

I have a question. Are the B pearl and the Bis pearl not at the same height when both keys are open, or are they not the same height when they are both closed? Or perhaps are they not the same height in both places? This information will lead to a far more accurate response.

It seems unusual on a well made saxophone such as a Mauriat that the factory position of this Bis key touch would be so misaligned with the B key. One other possibility would be that the Bis key touch which extends out away from the key cup is bent down. That is something that might be checked as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all, after reading these posts, I feel the bizz key may be slighly bent, when compared to my Yas. there is a slight millimeter when using the b flat biz that this needs extra work to close fully, considering this, would this be risky work for me to try bending this back ? or would I raise the pearl somehow?

This is a Mauriat system 76 antique finish, many thanks all

Andrew

·
3,112 Posts

It seems unusual on a well made saxophone such as a Mauriat that the factory position of this Bis key touch would be so misaligned with the B key.
Mauriats aren't particularly well made and these sort of problems should be expected.

·
2,547 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly, the Bis key touchpiece on the Mauriat is mounted on a small tab that extends off the Bis Bb key cup.
The normal position for the Bis pearl on your horn is, at rest, about 3mm below the top of the B key pearl - and it should be parallel to the body.
When both the B and the Bb keys are pressed down, the pearls maintain the distance between them - so the Bis pearl ends up about 3mm lower than the B key pearl.
For most players this is about the limit at which the mechanism will work reliably - and for many players it's perhaps just a tad too much of a step.
You can get used to it, of course - but it could be better.

Options then.
Well, the tab that the Bis pearl is mounted on provides some adjustment possibilities. It could be bent up slightly to raise the height of the Bis pearl - but in so doing it would alter the angle. This would mean that it presents the forefinger with a bit of an edge as it rolls forward off the B key...which won't be very comfortable.
Bending the tab will distort the Bis key cup...so this is a mod that is best done by a tech, who would remove the key, remove the pad and gently clamp the key cup before bending the tab. The pad would be replaced, the key refitted and the pad reset. There may be some slight distortion to the key cup edge though...but not enough to worry about.
You could try bending it up yourself - but you'd have to be *very* careful and you won't be able to bend it as much as if the key was properly clamped.
To do so, use a pair of pliers with either a cloth between the jaws, or cover the jaws with cardboard. When bending the tab, press the A key touchpiece down firmly to push the Bis Bb pad against the tone hole. This will help to avoid twisting the key cup.
It's a risky job - you could bust the tab off, bend the key, warp the key cup...so you have been warned.

You could build up the Bis pearl with a resin of some kind.
This is an easy DIY mod, but it could end up being a messy job if you're not that nifty with your hands.
The subject came up recently on Pete Thomas's forum - I have posted a comment there which details the mod:

http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?4073-I-d-like-a-rounded-pearl-inlay-on-my-Bb-Bis-key

The other option is to have the Bis pearl removed and replaced with something more suited to your needs. This is a neater fix than the above mod, though you might have to put up with a non-abalone pearl. This would be a job for a tech, mostly likely - and offers a number of advantages.
You could specify a variety of materials for the touchpiece...wood, brass, silver, mother of pearl etc. It can be tested in-situ and a profile shape and touchpiece height decided on (by play-testing) before finally being fixed in place. You could even take it away and test it for a couple of weeks, just to make sure everything feels right.
It'll look neater than the resin fix, and give better results than the bending fix...but it does mean visiting a tech unless you're confident you can remove the existing pearl, fashion a new one (make it a domed one for speed and comfort) and fit it securely and neatly in place.

You could also try a temporary fix using a product called Sugru. This wouldn't be a particularly neat fix, but it would work sufficiently well until such times as you could find a tech to do a proper mod...and it has the advantage of being very easy to remove.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/HandyHints/key_risers.htm

Regards,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Steven, many options to consider, yes the bis is mounted on a small tab that extends off the Bis Bb key cup, and I believe the bis is slightly bent. I intend to make the effort to the repair shop to have this pprofessionally fixed.

Chris, we disagree when you say the Mauriats are not well made, I am very happy with both my Mauriats, the tone and their make ups, The problem here is I bought this Mauriat alto on Ebay and whoever had this before me has not used care in some areas, Saxophones are a intricate mechanism, whatever the make of the sax, mistreated without respect, things bend regardless who made them,

I thank you all for the posts, I certainly got good information to consider. A

1 - 10 of 10 Posts