Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m leaving the high desert after 20+ years, and moving to northern California. While I’ve been pretty aware of dealing with freezing temperatures in the winter, and desiccated reeds year ‘round, I’ve not had to give much thought to RAIN.

I have a Protec-style case for one tenor, a BAM softpack for another. What works best for hard rain?

Do you Protec users apply a water-resistant spray (ala Scotchgard) to your cases, or use a rain cover?

Does the corduroy nylon ever get soaked/saturated?

Non-issue?

Thanks,

George

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I have used a protec for tenor for about 12 years, and never had an issue with rain. Granted, I haven't let it sit in the open during a downpour, but the times it has gotten wet, it hasn't been an issue. No problems for me on the inside.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I've tested a few things made with ballistic nylon like back packs, bicycle panniers, motorcycle T-Bags, and other travel bags by subjecting them to the dish sprayer on my kitchen sink or garden hose. Before doing my cross-country cycling trip in 2010 I stood in the shower with my rain gear on for a few minutes. Many things are "water resistant" but few are really completely "water proof". Generally the first or major point of failure when it comes to water is the zippers or in some cases seams. I haven't tested my Protec cases specifically but if I had to bet I would say water will weep in through the seems where the outer pockets are sown on to the case proper as well as through the zippers. How quickly this will happens depends upon a lot of factors. You can treat both seams and zippers with water repellent sprays and treatments but they are sometimes more trouble than they are worth.

I haven't ever really worried about this since like you I live in high desert (Colorado) where we don't get all that much rain. My horn cases have never had to endure more than a few minutes of steady rain or snow getting in and out of a gig or rehearsal. Personally, I wouldn't worry much about it or I'd carry around a very tightly folded or rolled large black garbage bag for the one time every few years you may feel it's warranted. I've ridden my bike a few times with plastic shopping bags on my saddle and feet. It's a bit ghetto but sometimes the ghetto solution is the quickest and easiest. It's almost always the cheapest and often time as effective as far more expensive options.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Fiberglass cases seem popular down here in FL. I have a couple of SKB cases and we know Hiscock quality. So, I guess I'd vote BAM fiberglass.

And, it's been pouring for close to 2 weeks with little end in sight.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Sweet!

Thank you.
You're welcome and let us know how it works out if you acquire one. Must be a Memorial Day Special going on on that site cause the rest are either full price (still not too bad though) or out of stock!

Fiberglass cases seem popular down here in FL. I have a couple of SKB cases and we know Hiscock quality. So, I guess I'd vote BAM fiberglass.

And, it's been pouring for close to 2 weeks with little end in sight.
Maryland it getting inundated the last couple of weeks. Frederick, MD a couple of weeks ago got hammered by floods and now historic Ellicott City is getting flooded again! Really bad! Not a pretty sight on Facebook or the news channels! Major flooding going on...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts