Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Good sound! The sax sounds really nice and what you're playing fits well. I mean no harm but the guitar was just a little flat after you and he played together. Still, very enjoyable!

Regards,
George

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice sound. How did you position your 57, I've had no luck recording with mine and getting anything other than a bright, harsh sound at a flat eq.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GT:
Thanks! Actually I made the exact same comment about the guitar sound to the author of the track. He should be beefing it up in the final mix.

sxplr06:
It might depend on your preamp / sound card chain. I am using Motu MicroBook which you can get for 300$ in US, but it really does a good job for that money.
The microphone was positioned about 40 cm away from the bell and above the saxophone, looking down at it. This helped capturing more of the sound that comes off the upper register notes and not just the bell notes.
It is also harder to 'overload' the mic at that distance.

I actually somewhat prefer Shure SM57 for recording that my clip on AMT LS. It caches less room reflections and captures more of the spark in the sound.
Although it's doing so at the expense of the breadth, smoothness and general boxines of the sound compared to AMT LS.

I will be doing more research on recording with both of those mics for comparison. Or maybe even record both at the same time, mix them and see how that sounds :)

Thanks!
Gennadiy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for the kind words guys.

Unfortunately that's all I had to record for the song (that + the opening solo), as the song was meant to be more vocal / guitar oriented.
But we both liked where this could go if this was an instrumental piece. So we might definitely try that later down the road.

Madav:
I take that as a big complement. Thank you :)

Off-topic:
I have just purchased Ponzol Stainless Steel mpc and waiting for Vandoren Java's to arrive in my infinite quest to finding 'my own sound'. Can't wait to do some long toning with those!
(But I've used Francois Louis with 3.5 rico royal reeds in this recording if that's of any interest :)).

Thanks again!
Gennadiy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts