Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ARRRRRGGGHHHH

How can there be 115 search results for "Kenny G" and only 7 for Rahsaan Roland Kirk?

One of my greatest inspirations on SO many levels!

Tim Price, where are you? I bet Tim knows what I'm talking about.

Discuss amongst yourselves and I will chip in now and then.

Anyone out there?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
One of my greatest inspirations on SO many levels!
+1! Man, I went and saw (heard) him every time he came to town (SF Bay Area--Keystone Korner, Both And Club, etc) back in the '70s. Every time was an inspiring, incredible--can I say "mind blowing"?-- experience. Every..single..time... I still get chills up my spine thinking about it all these years later.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I know what you are talking about!!!

BRIGHT MOMENTS!
I am honored that my parents were at the recording of the Bright Moments live album, and if you listen carefully you can hear my dad hooting during an applause break.

Glad you brought him up - amazing stuff.

·
Premium Member
15,497 Posts
That is so cool!!!!
That is just an amazing recording.
Wow, I’m blown away. How lucky to be at such an important moment in music history.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'd like to share some great recorded Bright Moments of Rasaan Roland Kirk on stage if you don't mind.
A great inspiration to many instrument players like doublers, triplers and simultaneos players.
The Late great "Rasaan Roland Kirk".

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
Thanks for sharing those. One thing I have to point out (I've said it before) is that no recording or youtube clip comes anywhere close to the live experience; being there in person and hearing it all up close, first hand. For some reason this seems more true for Roland Kirk than anyone else I've seen live. Something about his sound and the overall ambience that just doesn't translate to a recording. But it's all we have now.

Bright Moments album was recorded at Keystone Korner. I might have been there. I know I was there that week in any case because I always went when he was at Keystone. The recording sounds a lot like what I remember, including what he said on stage.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh yeah, I used to listen to Roland Kirk a lot — thanks for mentioning him; I'll start checking him out again starting with those links, above. (I'm currently getting back into playing sax and music after a long lay off ).

Things I remember liking: his version of We Three Kings — We Free Kings; the way he sings down the flute, especially the song 'You did it,' — where he sings that phrase; just the free feeling of his playing when he plays blues on tenor or alto.

But the first thought that occurred when I saw the title of this thread was that Miles Davis refused to call him 'Rahsaan,' — he'd only address him as 'Roland,' — and because of that they fell out — Roland Kirk got all sulky about it. I think I'm right: Miles mentions this in his autobiography, right?

There's some footage of gigs he did with Rollins, isn't there?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I love me some Rahsaan, but I have a little trouble with some of his later kitschy '70s recordings. There's good, interesting stuff if you can get through it, but sometimes I just can't handle the schmaltz!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts