Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Selmer Radio Improved Tenor in the shop that I was working on a complete mechanical overhaul on, and the serial number on the bell is 19xxx.

While I was working on it I noticed an additional serial number on the body - just below the Low D tone hole (just above the bow) - which was 13xxx

Now, I have seen multiple serial numbers that always match on different parts - thats pretty common. These 2 different numbers only share the 1st of the 5 digits (the number 1) - the other four are nothing alike - so it's not a typo.

Is the simplest answer the most probable - where sometime in this sax's life somebody added a Radio Improved Bell to an earlier horn (probably a super)?

Anybody have a different logical explanation?

Charlie

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
One's the factory number (on the body under the E tonehole) and one's the serial number (on the bell along with the maker's stamp) - they did pretty much the same thing with the Selmer Adolphes although they had the 3-digit serial number for Sax instruments on the bell and the 5-figure one on the body was Selmer's numbering system.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
I have a radio improved tenor with those numbers in just the same places, 13 XXX on the body below the D tone hole & 19 XXX on the bell...

·
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One's the factory number (on the body under the E tonehole) and one's the serial number (on the bell along with the maker's stamp) - they did pretty much the same thing with the Selmer Adolphes although they had the 3-digit serial number for Sax instruments on the bell and the 5-figure one on the body was Selmer's numbering system.
Thanks guys - I don't see many Radio Improved saxes in the shop so this solves that mystery.

@Chris - mine was most certainly under the D tone hole - Is yours really between the D and E? That seems weird.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
under the D tonehole almost hidden by the bow/body trim ring. Balanced Actions also have this. I've heard that's because selmer didn't manufactured the main bodies at that time.

·
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
under the D tonehole almost hidden by the bow/body trim ring. Balanced Actions also have this. I've heard that's because selmer didn't manufactured the main bodies at that time.
very interesting - anybody know if there is merit to this? If they didn't .... who did?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Are you suggesting there is a possibility that Conn actually manufactured the BA bodies?

...that's almost as ridiculous as suggesting the Statue of Liberty was "Made in France"

·
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you suggesting there is a possibility that Conn actually manufactured the BA bodies?

...that's almost as ridiculous as suggesting the Statue of Liberty was "Made in France"
LOL - alright - sounds to me we have a new rumor to investigate!!

·
4,507 Posts
bell braces serialing, not related.

I can confirm that a New Wonder has the exact same dimentions as a Radio Improved and Balanced Action main bodies. I mean, EXACT.

one has to wonder... those numbers ain't a part number, they arent't the same in all them horns. It's not a factory number either, they're not correlated as the serial in instruments progresses.

·
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bell braces serialing, not related.

I can confirm that a New Wonder has the exact same dimentions as a Radio Improved and Balanced Action main bodies. I mean, EXACT.

one has to wonder... those numbers ain't a part number, they arent't the same in all them horns. It's not a factory number either, they're not correlated as the serial in instruments progresses.
Are we talking tone hole size and placement as well?

·
4,507 Posts
sizing, placement, layout, sheet metal alloy (destructive material testing) and gage. Dead on, the same main body except for the RTH feature.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts

I'm sure you weren't joking, but here it is:

The Statue was made by French sculptor Bartholdi and -

wikipedia said:
The statue was constructed in France, shipped overseas in crates, and assembled on the completed pedestal on what was then called Bedloe's Island.

·
3,112 Posts
@Chris - mine was most certainly under the D tone hole - Is yours really between the D and E? That seems weird.
It's stamped in between the RH3 tonehole and the body to bow joint - stamped just below the lowest tonehole on the body section where the note E issues from. The low D tonehole is on the bow itself.

·
4,507 Posts
It's stamped in between the RH3 tonehole and the body to bow joint - stamped just below the lowest tonehole on the body section where the note E issues from. The low D tonehole is on the bow itself.
yeah, the lowest tonehole in the body section where the E issues from. Most of us calls that the D tone hole, but we're talking about the same hole :mrgreen:

·
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it - thanks.

·
3,112 Posts
I think the reason for the two different numbers on the earlier Selmers (up to BA) is mentioned on Saxpics.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts