Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a sophomore high school student and am in the steps of purchasing my own, new, professional alto saxophone. I have spent hours on countless websites (i.e. WWBW, this website :bluewink2: , saxforte.com, etc) and I am becoming increasingly interested in the Rampone and Cazzani altos, especially the R1 Jazz. I want to know how this compares with other professional saxophones out there and if it would be a good horn to use throughout high school, college, and even the rest of my life.

I am normally a tenor and bari player, and I do own my own tenor sax (Yani T901), and the only altos I have played were old Bundys and my mother's Selmer Mark VII, which is fun to play, but not really the sound that I would want to play a concert with.

Any and all criticism accepted,
AJL

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I like my R1 alto. Full dark big sound! Low B can be tough(sometimes motorboats) as bell bow is long. With practice or something put in bell it goes away. Intonation is very good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would you compare it with some of the top models from the big four? (Selmer, Yani, Yamaha, Keilwerth)

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
My 2 daughters and I play sax. The other altos in our house are a cannonball AE1 big bell,a Selmer USA omega 162,and a yanagisawa A-901. The yani is very bright compact focused sound and is a very responsive sax.. The Selmer USA is in between neither bright or dark and has a focused tone. The cannonball leans toward dark and slightly spread sound. The Rampone is dark w/ a big sound that is slightly spread. It is dark but has crispness to the sound(it's silver plated). Does the silver plate add some crispness/ring to the sound. I think so. Some say plating makes a differance some say it's cosmetic. The rampone is hand made. You can see waviness in the body/bell from hand hammering. It has gorgeous engraving. It has a peral on left thumb rest. At sax forte I played a Keilwerth SX-90 made of nickel silver and played a Rampone R1jazz. Both played great but the Rampone was more "musical" it had the X factor. It's hard to explain. The Rampone just sang a bit better.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
You should play as many altos as you can. My oldest daughter and I play Keilwerth tenors cherishing the dark full sound. My youngest doesn't care for Keilwerth as she feels keilwerths are missing some high harmonics ie she feels they are a little dull sounding. She's not a Rampone lover either. She loves her bright and cheery Yani A-901.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
How would you compare it with some of the top models from the big four? (Selmer, Yani, Yamaha, Keilwerth)
You should give Mathew Aaron a call at saxforte he carries/or carried all of the big 4.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
6-7 years ago the Rampone horns were the horn-du-jour on the discussion boards on SOTW (before a run of Taiwanese horns assumed that spot). Everyone was talking about them. Then they seemed to fall off the map. If I were you I'd take a signal from the fact that exactly one Rampone owner has responded to your question. They may be interesting horns, but if it were me in high school, I'd do trials of the Big 4 horns and some of the Taiwanese models (which can be excellent), and then search out a used version of the model that interests me.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Were I you, I would definitely check out the R1. I would also steer clear of the Taiwanese horns. Spend your money wisely, young man!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Were I you, I would definitely check out the R1. I would also steer clear of the Taiwanese horns. Spend your money wisely, young man!
Good luck "checking it out." The one dealer in the U.S. who sells them doesn't allow trials.

·
Registered
Rampone Cazzani R1 Jazz Gold Plated Alto
197 Posts
So i recently was in the market for a YAS 82ZII but was sidetracked (lol) by ongoing information about R&C's. I have been watching these horns for several years and finally bit the bullet and bought a R&C R1 Jazz Alto. I'm awaiting its arrival to my home, hopefully, by Friday. I'll let you all know my take on it. I'm looking forward to the experience. I'll see how it compares to my Cannonball SS alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,224 Posts
As a long term fan of Borgani horns, I’m curious to learn your perspective of R&C vs Cannonball. In my experience, the Cannonball horn seem coarse/crude in their fit and finish. Sound preferences are much more subjective.

Realize that your favorite mouthpiece on the Cannonball might not be the best match for your R&C (and vice versa).

Enjoy the quest.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,286 Posts
Dewtime: I hope you like it. Be sure to et us know.

I've owned three R&C saxophones a while back (early 2000's), all purchased new . . . 1) gold-plated tipped-bell soprano, 2) gold-plated sopranino, 3) silver-plated alto. All were very nice but nothing exceptional. I sold them all.

At the same time as I owned those horns, I also had top-of-the-line models from Selmer, Yanagisawa, Yamaha, and a variety of well-respected vintage saxophones. I suppose there's a negative associated with owning so many fine saxophones - the more I owned the more finicky I became. Too many choices . . .

A couple of years ago, I visited Matthews Musiek in Edam, The Nertherlands. A fun visit. While there, I tried another R&C soprano. Same result - nice enough but not worth the asking price, I concluded.

However, I caution against judging a brand by my few limited experiences. I get to do that because it is my money. But to advise others to do that is silly. You may come across one that is exceptional. Keep an open mind. DAVE

·
Registered
197 Posts
As a long term fan of Borgani horns, I’m curious to learn your perspective of R&C vs Cannonball. In my experience, the Cannonball horn seem coarse/crude in their fit and finish. Sound preferences are much more subjective.

Realize that your favorite mouthpiece on the Cannonball might not be the best match for your R&C (and vice versa).

Enjoy the quest.
Thanks. I'll try to do the best comparison I can but I won't do a realtime head to head on the Cannonball and R&C until I get my Cannonball adjusted. I've definitely enjoyed my Cannonball for the past 10 years. I was thinking YAS 82Z for a while but this seemed like what crossed my lap for the right price.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dewtime: I hope you like it. Be sure to et us know.

I've owned three R&C saxophones a while back (early 2000's), all purchased new . . . 1) gold-plated tipped-bell soprano, 2) gold-plated sopranino, 3) silver-plated alto. All were very nice but nothing exceptional. I sold them all.

At the same time as I owned those horns, I also had top-of-the-line models from Selmer, Yanagisawa, Yamaha, and a variety of well-respected vintage saxophones. I suppose there's a negative associated with owning so many fine saxophones - the more I owned the more finicky I became. Too many choices . . .

A couple of years ago, I visited Matthews Musiek in Edam, The Nertherlands. A fun visit. While there, I tried another R&C soprano. Same result - nice enough but not worth the asking price, I concluded.

However, I caution against judging a brand by my few limited experiences. I get to do that because it is my money. But to advise others to do that is silly. You may come across one that is exceptional. Keep an open mind. DAVE

I get it. When you play horns that you connect with then nothing else comes close. I haven't owned a Yanagisawa and Its been 20 plus years since I had my yamaha (YAS 23) so fortunately that will not get in my way. I have honestly played other horns that sound better than my Cannonball but out of share stubbornness I did not buy them.

I will definitely keep you all posted on this horn when it comes to me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I finally got my R&C R1 Jazz Gold plated alto a couple days ago and began to play it. Here is how it compares against my Cannonball Stone Series Raven alto (which I’ve played for several years). (Just my perspective thus far after a couple hours of playing.

Aesthetics / weight

R&C - The standard R&C case is beautiful in the standard brown leather (leatherette) exterior. It is light to my hands as I’m coming off of playing a big bell horn. The gold looks stellar but does not carry that high gloss like the lacquered horns. Overall a beautiful looking horn. (No stones to fall off, yippee!!!)

Cannonballs - Cannonballs are just beautiful eye candy. case closed. The weight of this horn feels definitely heavier compared to the R&C (I wish it was lighter, but the bell size accounts for some of that weight.).

Ergos -
R&C - The key spacing seems similar to the Yamaha customs which was comfortable. My hands are fairly large but I was able to adjust to the fact that there weren’t any palm or side key risers. Overall felt good in my hands.

Cannonball - I’m very used to this horn and fit like a glove. Oh, I also have palm and side key stone risers which works for my hands.

playing/Sounds

R&C -The key action was a little still tight but could probably loosen over time on the horn. The

Cannonball - key action has been fast and looser right out of the box.

R&C- When I began to play I could feel a bit of resistance. I switched back and forth on three mouthpieces including the stock R&C mpc and finally settled on my Theo Wanne NY Bros #7 and Vandoren Red Java 2.5 setup. After playing a while I noticed that I had to make a couple adjustments because my A to my ear was ever so slightly flat. After some more play time for an hour or so I began to take note more of the sound. The R&C has a lush, smooth, darker tone, and somewhat focused. When push a bit it seemed to brighten. The low B flat was easy to reach and did not warble (like I’ve heard in a couple other reviews). Altissimo was easy to reach but the altissimo G was a little more difficult to control for me.

Cannonball - Playing the with the same mpc setup and the standard neck, this horn tends to be more free blowing. Because of the big bell I have greater projection. The sound is dark and spread. It tends to be a bit edgy but easily controlled IMO. Altissimo is easily to hit and control. (I’ve had lots of practice to keep this in control though).

Overall, the R&C R1 Jazz alto is a high quality horn and will take some getting used to on my part. With some time on this horn, I will have to determine if the Cannonball will ‘come off of the bench’ from now on. I don’t know, this will be a tough sell as I know my way totally around this the Cannonball.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I finally got my R&C R1 Jazz Gold plated alto a couple days ago and began to play it. Here is how it compares against my Cannonball Stone Series Raven alto (which I’ve played for several years). (Just my perspective thus far after a couple hours of playing.

Aesthetics / weight

R&C - The standard R&C case is beautiful in the standard brown leather (leatherette) exterior. It is light to my hands as I’m coming off of playing a big bell horn. The gold looks stellar but does not carry that high gloss like the lacquered horns. Overall a beautiful looking horn. (No stones to fall off, yippee!!!)

Cannonballs - Cannonballs are just beautiful eye candy. case closed. The weight of this horn feels definitely heavier compared to the R&C (I wish it was lighter, but the bell size accounts for some of that weight.).

Ergos -
R&C - The key spacing seems similar to the Yamaha customs which was comfortable. My hands are fairly large but I was able to adjust to the fact that there weren’t any palm or side key risers. Overall felt good in my hands.

Cannonball - I’m very used to this horn and fit like a glove. Oh, I also have palm and side key stone risers which works for my hands.

playing/Sounds

R&C -The key action was a little still tight but could probably loosen over time on the horn. The

Cannonball - key action has been fast and looser right out of the box.

R&C- When I began to play I could feel a bit of resistance. I switched back and forth on three mouthpieces including the stock R&C mpc and finally settled on my Theo Wanne NY Bros #7 and Vandoren Red Java 2.5 setup. After playing a while I noticed that I had to make a couple adjustments because my A to my ear was ever so slightly flat. After some more play time for an hour or so I began to take note more of the sound. The R&C has a lush, smooth, darker tone, and somewhat focused. When push a bit it seemed to brighten. The low B flat was easy to reach and did not warble (like I’ve heard in a couple other reviews). Altissimo was easy to reach but the altissimo G was a little more difficult to control for me.

Cannonball - Playing the with the same mpc setup and the standard neck, this horn tends to be more free blowing. Because of the big bell I have greater projection. The sound is dark and spread. It tends to be a bit edgy but easily controlled IMO. Altissimo is easily to hit and control. (I’ve had lots of practice to keep this in control though).

Overall, the R&C R1 Jazz alto is a high quality horn and will take some getting used to on my part. With some time on this horn, I will have to determine if the Cannonball will ‘come off of the bench’ from now on. I don’t know, this will be a tough sell as I know my way totally around this the Cannonball.

So I have to add these comments now that as I have played and adjusted to this horn, the R&C R1 Jazz Gold plated horn, it has become much more amazing to me. My adjustment was definitely coming from playing a freeblowing Big Bell Cannonball to a standard bell with more resistance. This horn definitely is cutting easier to play as I use my Durga on it. A very very good player.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Dew time music glad you like your R&C I still like my R1 silver plate alto.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes these horns are really great. Its been a couple month on the horn and I'm really enjoying it. I got to play on a silver never in combination with my gold plated R1 jazz and it was a night brighter experience. I'm sure the silver is beautiful.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So I have to add these comments now that as I have played and adjusted to this horn, the R&C R1 Jazz Gold plated horn, it has become much more amazing to me. My adjustment was definitely coming from playing a freeblowing Big Bell Cannonball to a standard bell with more resistance. This horn definitely is cutting easier to play as I use my Durga on it. A very very good player.
Did you buy the horn from L&L in Gaithersburg?

I noticed that they are a dealer now, but when I stopped by the shop they didn't have any in stock but claimed they could get whatever model I wanted in two days.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Did you buy the horn from L&L in Gaithersburg?

I noticed that they are a dealer now, but when I stopped by the shop they didn't have any in stock but claimed they could get whatever model I wanted in two days.
I am sooooooooooo late on this response to your post. Been off of SOTW for quite some time. So I did not buy this at L&L Music in gaithersburg. I got this horn used. The longer I play this horn the more I love it. It has a nice core to the horn and I like the setup of the Durga 4 metal 7 tip opening. It is an awesome sound. Its also lighter in my hands than the Cannonball (even though I loved that horn for a while).

I'm looking to matchup with a curved R&C soprano soon. Used preferably, I don't have new money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts