Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 5 years I have used the same setup on my Yamaha 62 bari.
Otto Link Super Tone Master 7* with a Med. Hard Fibracell reed.

I play in a 40s-50s R&B band that consists of 3 horns(bari and two tenors) , piano, drummer, bass, guitar, and singer.

The sound I get from my setup is great. I don't like to fuss with reeds so the fibracell is perfect. The Link gives me pretty good projection(every gig is amplified anyway) but I can blend in nicely when I need to.

The Otto Link was my 2nd Moutpiece ever and I have never had the chance to experiment with many different mouthpieces. I'd like to possibly get a more rich, full sounding(vintage?) tone without giving up the ability to cut through when I need to. Any suggestions on mouthpieces to try out? I will keep the Fibracell reeds but am open to the idea of different strengths to suit the diff mouthpieces any of y'all may suggest

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,269 Posts
I play on a Rico Metalite M9, which is great for rock n roll/r&b bari, but if you like your Link, it might not be what you want. Have you tried Meyer mouthpieces? They have a nice, full sound, but can really pick up some bark when you push them. I also like the HR Otto Links better than the STMs for everything from rock to classical on bari, but that's just my preference. To me, they feel more solid and are less hollow sounding. I've noticed this when A-Bing them with friends, too.

I also liked the Berg Larsens I've tried, although I've only tried two of them, and it was only for a few minutes. I liked them in around 115-120/1

If you want to try something fun and cheap, order a Rico Royal Graftonite from WWBW. I love those almost as much as my Metalite.

·
8,275 Posts
'I'd like to possibly get a more rich, full sounding(vintage?) tone without giving up the ability to cut through when I need to.'

Keep the mouthpiece and change the reed for different tones. Sounds to me like you're happy with your set-up. Learn to use it in different ways. A cane reed will probably do what you want.

·
3,269 Posts
1saxman said:
A cane reed will probably do what you want.
That's probably true. I swore by Fibracells for the longest time for bari, but even switching to Rico Royal was an improvment in the depth of the tone, volume, comfort and control. I can't afford to go any more expensive than rico royal for bari, though. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts