Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer a comparison between these two USB Mics?
I have been using a Blue Yeti for a few years now and although the recording quality is very good, I’ve had enough of the distortion issues.
I am unable to adjust the input levels to a degree where I can consistently record without distortion.
Although these setting are supposed to be adjustable, they seem to be locked on my mic.
I’m looking at replacing it with a RØDE NT USB mic.
Providing the recording quality is comparable.
Hope to hear from anyone with experience using both of these mics for recording Saxophone.
Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you considered buying an inexpensive audio interface and mic? This will give you greater flexibility and wont cost much more.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Have you considered buying an inexpensive audio interface and mic? This will give you greater flexibility and wont cost much more.
This is what I was thinking. I have a PreSonus that I use to make this connection and I just use the gear I have for live playing - Beta 98 clip-on and EV N/D 468. That being said I can see the desire to have something that's very simple, inexpensive, and easy to set up and these USB mics I suspect are great for that.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,183 Posts
Can anyone offer a comparison between these two USB Mics?
I have been using a Blue Yeti for a few years now and although the recording quality is very good, I've had enough of the distortion issues.
I am unable to adjust the input levels to a degree where I can consistently record without distortion.
Although these setting are supposed to be adjustable, they seem to be locked on my mic.
I'm looking at replacing it with a RØDE NT USB mic.
Providing the recording quality is comparable.
Hope to hear from anyone with experience using both of these mics for recording Saxophone.
Thanks.
I've been using the Yeti Blue for all my mouthpiece clips for many years. Never tried anything else as this seems to do the job for me. The levels on the Yeti are really hot for some reason. I have to turn the knob on it down to 0 and then turn the gain on garageband down like -10 to -20 depending on the mouthpiece and how loud it is. I'd be interested in what you think of the Rode NT if you get one.........

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been using the Yeti Blue for all my mouthpiece clips for many years. Never tried anything else as this seems to do the job for me. The levels on the Yeti are really hot for some reason. I have to turn the knob on it down to 0 and then turn the gain on garageband down like -10 to -20 depending on the mouthpiece and how loud it is. I'd be interested in what you think of the Rode NT if you get one.........
If you're on the mac, you can use the program Audio Midi Setup in your applications folder. This will allow you to adjust your input gain so you don't have to turn the mic gain all the way down.

·
8,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're on the mac, you can use the program Audio Midi Setup in your applications folder. This will allow you to adjust your input gain so you don't have to turn the mic gain all the way down.
This is supposed to work but it doesn't on both my older iMac and my new MacBook Pro.
I am unable to turn settings down below 16db on either.
Whenever I have tried to make the adjustment it immediately returns back up to 16db.
Perhaps my Mic is faulty.
I can record only if everything is set to zero both on mic, gain and garage band input settings.
I might bite have to the bullet on the rode USB mic as this is getting too frustrating.
It's a pity though as the yeti records quite well after a tonne of messing about with it.

·
8,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what I was thinking. I have a PreSonus that I use to make this connection and I just use the gear I have for live playing - Beta 98 clip-on and EV N/D 468. That being said I can see the desire to have something that's very simple, inexpensive, and easy to set up and these USB mics I suspect are great for that.
I have considered going down this route, but I really just like the simplicity of USB mics.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is supposed to work but it doesn't on both my older iMac and my new MacBook Pro.
I am unable to turn settings down below 16db on either.
Whenever I have tried to make the adjustment it immediately returns back up to 16db.
Perhaps my Mic is faulty.
I can record only if everything is set to zero both on mic, gain and garage band input settings.
I might bite have to the bullet on the rode USB mic as this is getting too frustrating.
It's a pity though as the yeti records quite well after a tonne of messing about with it.
Dangit, I just plugged in my Blue Yeti after not using it for a while. I don't know if it's a software or hardware problem, but it no longer works with my Macbook Pro. It only shows up as a usb mic and is not recognized as a Blue Yeti. And I can't control the input levels with the midi setup.

Maybe it was the High Sierra upgrade? It used to work on my computer.

·
8,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dangit, I just plugged in my Blue Yeti after not using it for a while. I don't know if it's a software or hardware problem, but it no longer works with my Macbook Pro. It only shows up as a usb mic and is not recognized as a Blue Yeti. And I can't control the input levels with the midi setup.

Maybe it was the High Sierra upgrade? It used to work on my computer.
I don't think it's the upgrade as my iMac is still running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, and it is the same there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
All I know is it worked a year ago. If I can't get it working, I might get a Behringer UMC204HD and a MXL mic. I should have probably went this route in the first place.

·
8,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I eventually did get one.
I have recorded both Baritone and tenor with it and found it to be quite good for Baritone, still messing around with settings for Tenor.
It's a very simple but effective mic.
No gain settings on the mic itself, only a balance setting between mic and computer outputs into headphones.
Here's something I recorded with it on my The Martin Baritone.
https://app.box.com/s/qs2scj2njt918zsseg4imo8wjd6tllv2

·
Registered
731 Posts
That's a killer recording, great sound :) So it's the Røde USB mic then?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thanks guys.
Yes it's the Rode NT-USB mic.
Priced quite well and seems to do the job.
View attachment 219566
I got it recently but was struggling to get it not to clip... Is the trick just to put gain way down, then increase volume afterwards and put compression on? I'm new to recording, which software do you use?

I also have an iPad, was going to try this mic with Garageband on there.

·
8,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use GarageBand on an old iMac.
In GarageBand I turn the recording input down pretty lowish and increase it afterward when mixing.
I’m pretty close to the mic also as my headphone lead is pretty short.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts