Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thanks alot...that's gonna haunt me the rest of the night! :mrgreen: but yeah, very familiar

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,921 Posts
The first four bars of the sax ride in 'Billy's Bounce' if that's the place you mean.

·
3,269 Posts
The first four bars of the sax ride in 'Billy's Bounce' if that's the place you mean.
that happens much later, around the 8th or 9th chorus. The first four bars of the third chorus do sound like a quote, but i don't recognize the tune. someone here will get it.

·
7,921 Posts
I was at the wrong place - the recording didn't start at the beginning so I didn't know where the '3rd chorus' was. But 'chorus' means 'bridge' to me so I guess its the 3rd verse.

·
7,921 Posts
Okay, got it at 00:25. Definitely a 'twist' as said before on 'Anything Goes'. I think what happened was he knew he wanted to play it but just didn't connect on the correct starting note or the correct syncopation. So, he played something like it. In short, he screwed the pooch and got away with it like we all do.

·
Registered
650 Posts
You honestly think that Bird messed up there? Seeing how he hinted at the rhythm, and followed the changes of the tune being played, I'd say he was anything but off.

·
2,144 Posts
You honestly think that Bird messed up there? Seeing how he hinted at the rhythm, and followed the changes of the tune being played, I'd say he was anything but off.
Yeah...pretty sure he played it exactly the way he intended to play it. Far from screwing the pooch. The best musical quotes are the ones that "hint" at the original rather than copying it verbatim.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It could be AG, but it is such a strong line that i wonder of it is not another tune...... There is a website with all the Bird quotes but i don't know the address.....?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts