Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow night's gig is a howlin Wolf fest / tribute. That would be fine except no one told me until a few minutes ago. I get an e-mail that says, Here is the set list - be sure to learn the intros and signature lines for songs W,X,Y,&, Z. The tunes listed was a forward to another player on the gig. I can see the other player got it last week. ***? You would guess he thinks I have absolutely nothing better to do tonight than practice this stuff except he knows we are gigging tonight too. Or maybe he figures that since I'm just the sax player, I can just fake it. (He'd be right but that's not the point) Grrrrrrr....:evil:

At least it's the blues. I probably already know it. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
Tomorrow night's gig is a howlin Wolf fest / tribute. That would be fine except no one told me until a few minutes ago. I get an e-mail that says, Here is the set list - be sure to learn the intros and signature lines for songs W,X,Y,&, Z. The tunes listed was a forward to another player on the gig. I can see the other player got it last week. ***? You would guess he thinks I have absolutely nothing better to do tonight than practice this stuff except he knows we are gigging tonight too. Or maybe he figures that since I'm just the sax player, I can just fake it. (He'd be right but that's not the point) Grrrrrrr....:evil:

I had a guy do something like this to me before a big vegas gig. I was meeting up with the band a day before the show in Vegas. I kept on him to send me charts and mp3 but he didn't do it until two days before the gig. So the first day in vegas I just practiced all day. It was like the other sax player wanted me to do bad. I nailed it but I wanted to strangle the guy.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Mmmmh Howling Wolf.

Good luck to you.
Enjoy the show none the less!

Wait with strangling the other guy until the show's over.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Just shut your mic off and look like you're blowing your brains out. nobody will notice

·
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just shut your mic off and look like you're blowing your brains out. nobody will notice
I do that with larger groups :)

This is a 4 pc.

This guy is famous for stuff like this too. Usually he falls out of a taxi 5 minutes before the gig, wearing a wrinkled suit and toting an amp trailing a guitar cable thats pure tangle. He orders a whiskey and beer, hits the stage and transforms into a guitar god. Last week he missed the connecting flight from LAX to ATL and he is the "star". We were left scrambling for a front man at the last minute. Everyone else made it. Where the #%*# was he? The problem is he pays well and often and damn he's good.

Back on topic - I've had a chance to listen to the tunes. Besides the head on a couple of them its pretty much call your key and go. Other than that I just watch his foot. He stomps the stops. it's not that I worry as much as I just think it's irresponsible.

·
Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul
4,054 Posts
May I co- rant with you Fader? Our small, big band has a repertoire of, lets say, 100 tunes. I reckon 20 of them we really struggle with, 20 we do ok and the rest are somewhere inbetween. So why does the band leader choose closer to the 20 strugglers than the 20 ok when we gig? We have a gig soon. I asked if he`d made the program yet and if we could play tunes we could actually play. He said if we can`t play them now, we`ve got 2 more practices together and 20 days by ourselves to get it right. Its not just me struggling but pretty much all of us. Such a sadist.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,687 Posts
This guy is famous for stuff like this too. Usually he falls out of a taxi 5 minutes before the gig, wearing a wrinkled suit and toting an amp trailing a guitar cable thats pure tangle. He orders a whiskey and beer, hits the stage and transforms into a guitar god.

The problem is he pays well and often and damn he's good. .
I bet he'd sound a lot better if he treated the band with respect and didn't try to throw things together at the last minute. I've run into this sort of thing and know some guys like this.

Be glad it's Howlin' Wolf tunes. You undoubtly know enough blues to fake it, make up your own lines on the spot, and learn a few of the signature riffs fairly quickly (also do some growling & flutter tonguing--that will convince 'em). It's kind of a drag, but you did say "he pays well." Do your best, then make sure to collect your pay!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts

Hey, just make sure you got the keys on the set list, have a few drinks, put on your 'game face', stride purposefully onto the stage, get into that George Thorogood's sax player flutter-tongue/piercing/shrill bag and play your blues gig. It also helps if you can have some fried chicken on gig day - I'm serious!

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I do that with larger groups :)

This guy is famous for stuff like this too. Usually he falls out of a taxi 5 minutes before the gig, wearing a wrinkled suit and toting an amp trailing a guitar cable thats pure tangle. He orders a whiskey and beer, hits the stage and transforms into a guitar god. Last week he missed the connecting flight from LAX to ATL and he is the "star". We were left scrambling for a front man at the last minute. Everyone else made it. Where the #%*# was he? The problem is he pays well and often and damn he's good.
LOL.. Dude you crack me up. The imagery in your comments is really great. Why don't you pull all these stories and experiences together and write a book?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Because it would be so damn familiar. Show biz not only encourages people like this, it creates them.

·
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL.. Dude you crack me up. The imagery in your comments is really great. Why don't you pull all these stories and experiences together and write a book?
I've thought about it but there are a few problems.

1. The best stories are too embarrassing to tell.

2. I don't know that many big words.

3. It'd have to be a short book 'cause I'm typing everything on an iPhone these days.

·
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RANT Redux.

But.... I nailed it in one except he fell out of the taxi 10 minutes late, had to borrow a cable, and then called only one of the songs on the list - and that in a different key. Me - I could have spit.

And everyone loved him.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,355 Posts
I think most of us have stories like these, it happens all too often.
It's understandable when you're called in the last minute because somebody got sick or something but for the most part it's just lazyness on the part of bandleaders or fellow musicians i'm afraid.
I have been on the other side of this too when I was in charge of the horn section of a working band. I DID make sure a substitute got the book and music as soon as possible and I could tell immediately if a guy really had worked on it or not at all.
And yes it does happen from time to time to need to change the list on the spot, I know it's not nice for the sub who really prepared the music but that is the reality of being in a more or less commercial outfit. There's more things to consider then just the music.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts