Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, lemme tell you guys my situation: I'm a college freshman, who just auditioned for ensemble classes and the such. I got into the Wind Orchestra (the lower out of the two groups, but still quite awesome) and am playing Tenor Saxophone. Now I only have experience on the Alto and like-sized instruments. I also have a limitation on mouthpieces. I can get either a S80, S90, or a Vandoren Optimum.

Now I ask of you this: Can anyone tell me the Pros and Cons of these mouthpieces? It would be very much appreciated.

Edit: Well, I just now figured that I put this in the wrong section. I'll see if I can't either get it moved/deleted. Can someone report this as being in the wrong section please? I can't do that on my own posts and don't know who the mods/admins are.

Edit again: Thanks for moving it, and I can give more info on the tenor tomorrow, as I don't have it as of now. Probably around 1-ish PM, since I won't get back here until then.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
The newer Selmers are not as good or consistent as the older ones. You usually need to try a bunch to find a good one or you need to get a refacer to hand finish them.

Common dogma is to use a C*. This is a good size for alto but is too small for tenor. You need something around a .080" tip which is a "D" or "190" in Selmer.

Optimums are fairly new but Vandoren is not. Vandoren is making some of the best factory-made mouthpieces. You want a TL4 in the Optimum or a T20 on the V5.

·
Registered
471 Posts
http://saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39665&highlight=index+classical+mouthpieces
this thread can answer your question

All in all though all those mouthpieces are great for your instrument, the pros and the cons are very subjective so it really comes down to what you prefer. If you really need to decide on a mouthpiece order all three from prowinds and return the two you don't want.

If I were you though and just going to play in wind ensemble, I'd pick the Vandoren Optimum, TL3 or TL4 it depends on your preference.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Yeah, a good tip difference between alto and tenor pieces of the same model/size should be about .010" to .015". I think the difference in C*'s is only .005". The last time I played classical tenor (5 or 6 years) I was using a Bamber Concert piece with a .095" opening. But I'm a jazzer and like the more open piece.

It can be tough to find a good current production Selmer mouthpiece. The Vandorens are much more consistent in terms of quality. If you can't try them before you buy and you're just going to order one or the other, go with the Vandoren.

While I haven't played the tenor versions, I prefer the alto Vandorens to the S80, S90, and Solists that Selmer is currently producing.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Agent27 said:
Yeah, a good tip difference between alto and tenor pieces of the same model/size should be about .010" to .015".
Yeah, .010"-.015" for "legit". For jazz/rock, .020" diff is more common.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Another vote for the Optimum in that context. TL3 is well-suited to ensemble work, while my own preference is for the TL4 as a soloist's mouthpiece, though either would suit both very well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
For Tenor I would just ge ta Morgan Protone which is only in a .085" facing. Under $50 and made well. Great legit sound. It plays similar to the Link HR I used for Wind Ensemble recordings in the 60s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys, but remember, I can get only a C*, C**, or an Optimum. Our studio teacher wants us to have only those.

Also, first day of classes is almost over, and I've got myself a C* which has been lent to me until I can get my own mouthpiece. I play on Vandoren Blue Box 3.5's. I haven't checked the Sax yet, but I believe it is some kind of Yamaha. I'll be playing this in the Wind Orchestra and Sax Quartet. Not looking for a jazz one just yet.

Edit: Forgot to say, I'm playing on a Yamaha Custom Tenor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts