Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to give out a little tip for playing over Giant Steps. It focuses on the 2nd half of the tune (starting on the Ebmaj7). Here are the original changes for the 2nd half:

| Ebmaj7 | Am7 D7 | Gmaj7 | C#m7 F#7 | Bmaj7 | Fm7 Bb7 | Ebmaj7 | C#m7 F#7 |

Here's a way to change it up and keep the Coltrane changes moving through the 2-5s:

| Ebmaj7 F#7 | Bmaj7 D7 | Gmaj7 Bb7 | Ebmaj7 F#7 | Bmaj7 D7 | Gmaj7 Bb7 | Ebmaj7 | C#m7 F#7 |

This works really well when you blow over them while the rhythm section plays the regular changes. I wouldn't use this ALL the time as I think it would sound exhausting, but give it a shot!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi Dave!

Thanks for the tip, just gave it a try and it works nicely.
I also agree with you that it's not for using it all the time as it creates a sound that is quite similar to the first half of the tune.

Here's another idea for the second half that also works as a superimposition and is a nice variation (for me) if you use it from time to time:

2nd half:

Variation (moving up in whole tone steps):

| Ebmaj7 | Fmaj7 | Gmaj7 | Amaj7 | Bmaj7 | Dbmaj7 | Ebmaj7 | C#m7 F#7 |

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave!

Thanks for the tip, just gave it a try and it works nicely.
I also agree with you that it's not for using it all the time as it creates a sound that is quite similar to the first half of the tune.

Here's another idea for the second half that also works as a superimposition and is a nice variation (for me) if you use it from time to time:

2nd half:

Variation (moving up in whole tone steps):

| Ebmaj7 | Fmaj7 | Gmaj7 | Amaj7 | Bmaj7 | Dbmaj7 | Ebmaj7 | C#m7 F#7 |
Yep! That works really great and adds some really cool colors and really "lifts" the tune. There are a lot of things we can do- tritone subs, cycles, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts