Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question regarding comparing 2 Soprano Saxophones for potential purchase.

Looking at Intermediate models due to budget constraints - comparing an Antigua and an Allora.

Antigua model AS86BC – black nickel plated with 2 necks.

Allora Paris Professional model with 2 necks – model VCH-S830LE/PSB

Questions :
1) Are these roughly equivalent in build quality , sound, and reliability or which is better ?
2) What professional level brands and models are these copies of or are similar to ?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I can't speak about the Alloras, but I have an Antigua 590, which I'd guess is more or less the equivalent of the current SS4290. Supposedly the Antiguas are (or at least were) based on the Yanagisawa 901. I purchased my 590 new in 2004, and it's still going strong! You can tell it's not a "Big 4" horn, but it's still well-built and sounds great. If the current Antigua build quality is anything like that of my 590, then I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,611 Posts
Thats a great player for sure. Heres an Antiqua Soprano that I'm selling for a friend. I"m playing without any added EQ or effects. Khttps://youtu.be/pXSAI4Bb4a8

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,432 Posts
Interesting thread. They are both Taiwanese, right?

I used to have an Antigua 590LQ (meaning, it was styled after the Yanagisawa S991, not the S901; the difference being removable dual necks with the S991/590 versions, and mine had a lacquered brass body). I actually liked its tone better than my Yanagisawa S992 (bronze), but not much can be gained from that subjective opinion. There was a difference to my ears (as the player), but I doubt that anyone else heard it OR cared.

The S992 was clearly the better saxophone - much smoother to the touch and response than the Antigua, but then again, the 590LQ didn't cost half the price of the Yanagisawa.

And as I've said elsewhere many times, it wouldn't be fair to make any recommendations based on playing just one example of any saxophone, let alone two relatively inexpensive sopranos made in Taiwan. I have not played a Selmer made in Taiwan. I have played several examples of Antiguas, from fixed necks to dual necks, and I found them to vary a bit, probably because of dealer-prep or lack thereof.

I doubt if you'd go wrong with either one you asked about. DAVE

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks you all for above info,

I know from my own experience only Antigua 3286LQ, which was introduced for me as pro, but I'm not sure ...
I found an old thread, were Antigua SS4290RC had good comments, is it comparable to 3286LQ?

I believe that now SS4290LQ is formerly known as A590LQ, am I right, if yes, do they both have high G (as Allora Paris soprano)?
Antigua 3286LQ has only high F# key, so I conclude that SS4290LQ (A590LQ) is more modern design? or other (higher) level model?

So, I followed the links above, and listened very nice sounding Antigua and Allora models, and my question:
Is it worth to upgrade to one of the more modern sopranos (as above) enriched with high G key, will I feel more benefits?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,432 Posts
I doubt the value of a high G feature. I've owned sopranos with and without the high G feature and NEVER used it when it was there. But that's just me.

There probably are other players who really want that feature. I'm guessing that if a player needs to play a high G, then he would have already figured out how to play it without having a saxophone keyed that high.

I don't think a soprano saxophone's playability or desirability involves having high G keying, though. The best sopranos I've played only went to high F and they'll outplay anything out there.

I've owned an Antigua 590LQ and I don't recall if it had high G or not. I never used it or tried to play that note. DAVE

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I've owned an Antigua 590LQ and I don't recall if it had high G or not. I never used it or tried to play that note. DAVE
The 590 DOES have a high G, but I think it was the only model that did. Not sure if they've changed this with the current models.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I too doubt the requirement for a high G. That note is in screech territory for a trumpet, so why ever play it at all??? (I once had a trumpet player tell me there was no reason to ever write a trumpet part above high D above the staff- he was one of the best lead players I ever worked with. I took his advice to heart, and my arrangements improved a lot!)

OK, kidding aside (and I'm only kidding a little bit), the high G and F# keys on saxophones are unnecessary in my opinion, and add weight and complexity to the instrument. Most horns today come with a high F#, it's hard to get away from that, but high G just creates problems. It's not a feature that I would pay extra money for.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I too doubt the requirement for a high G ... the high G and F# keys on saxophones are unnecessary in my opinion, and add weight and complexity to the instrument. Most horns today come with a high F#, it's hard to get away from that, but high G just creates problems. It's not a feature that I would pay extra money for.
Thank you, two opinions negative, so it looks like I should better concentrate on playing than looking for problems with high G key.

If I will have an opportunity to try Allora Paris or Antigua 590 - I will try.
Just to test (I am curious) if its ergonomy and sound could give me sth more, not because of high G.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts