Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of general questions for you saxophone repair-folk:

1. What repair/ adjustment do you perform the most often? (Be as specific as possible)

2. What is the most difficult repair/ adjustment you have ever had to perform?

Thanks for your tremendous service to the saxophone community!

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
1. What repair/ adjustment do you perform the most often? (Be as specific as possible).

Deal with a leak. (It would definitely not be straightening a bridge key on a clarinet. Here in NZ, clarinet students are taught by clarinet players, who teach them correct assembly!)

Make utter junk playable for a budget price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,717 Posts
What repair/ adjustment do you perform the most often? (Be as specific as possible)
Strip / clean / re-assemble / repair

Dent work tubas, reskin djembe heads, repair busted guitars from people jumping on them, repair flutes from kids who use them for sword fighting. Plenty more, but that will do...

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
1) Bent Flutes, Broken bridge mech on Clarinets, bent neck octave key on saxes, adjusting key height back down from vertical to normal on all wind instruments (kids will pull at any key they can get their fingers under), remove trumpet mouthpiece, re-round neck tenon on saxes.

In the school system you get a long list of common repairs.

2) Trying to get Aldi flutes and Clarinets to play and keep them playing. A bent Artley flute with ruined chimneys, grommets and tone holes, that we should never have even bothered with. Only to have the child drop it and bend it again within ten minutes of getting it back from us.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys

Any in particular that come up the most? I would guess Eb, but do others come up repeatedly?
Yes, all of them! They're pretty good at taking turns.

For a horn that does not get cleaned, and which has sugar, cigarette smoke, saliva and dead mouth tissue blown down it to make a felt with the lint from the substandard swab or pull-through, yes, Eb may be common, but in a locality where horns are reasonably cared for, it is not especially problematic because it is one of the pads that is normally sprung closed, which assist in overcoming imperfections of seal.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
I have a couple of general questions for you saxophone repair-folk:

1. What repair/ adjustment do you perform the most often? (Be as specific as possible)

Thanks for your tremendous service to the saxophone community!
#1 Leaking pads.
#2 Complete disassembly of a double wall metal Conn clarinet to re-solder all of the tone holes and posts. The solder had deteriorated and it leaked badly. This is the one and only double wall metal clarinet I have ever seen or worked on.

Hand burnishing sousa and tuba bells ain't nottin :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
3,286 Posts
#2 Complete disassembly of a double wall metal Conn clarinet to re-solder all of the tone holes and posts. The solder had deteriorated and it leaked badly. This is the one and only double wall metal clarinet I have ever seen or worked on.
I bow to you sir.
My first repair job was a metal clarinet repad.
I have been turning them down ever since, that was in 1968.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts