Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I would first like to thank any and everyone in advance for their help. I have some questions regarding a few things. I would like to know if anyone has ordered a Beechler Bellite #7 alto sax mouthpiece from weinermusic.com and if so, was it in stock? I have never used that site before and I'm not sure if I must call them to know if something is in stock. Second, I play on a YAS-23 and I would like to know if the bellite will give me a better "jazz" sound? I understand it's mostly about the musician, but I would like to know if the sound will be improved over the standard Yamaha 4C mouthpiece. I hope I'm not asking too much, but any and all information is appreciated. Thanks again to anybody that helps :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Weiner Music is great - I order everything from them. Call if you want but they will get back to you immediately if something is back-ordered. Beechler mouthpiece with be BRIGHT on the Yamaha. It will definitely be MORE then the 4C. Good luck.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The Beechler Bellite #7 seems to be well known and respected for Alto. I heard varios music clips and they sound great and I'm quite keen to get one.

Just emailed them to confirm they have them in stock. We'll see what they say.

Can anyone confirm they work equaly well on a Soprano?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@A Greene: Thanks, I was just making sure getting the bellite for my YAS-23 would be an improvement. :)

@Obelix: Thank you as well, I can tell the bellite 7 is pretty great since stores like wwbw and music123 don't have them in stock so I'm assuming they get ordered a lot. I tried ordering from wwbw since they said on their site that the mouthpiece would be available 1/21/2011, but I called yesterday and they said they wouldn't get the shipment until March 18th. I hear that the alto and soprano bellites sound good, but the tenor not so much.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here is their response :
we have the soprano in stock as for the alto the ETA is 5-7 days we also have the custom in stock
Good to hear the Soprano is good. I've just ordered one.

I would say that "ETA 5-7 days" for Alto is then incorrect...
Good luck on the Alto. I'm keen to get one too...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks and I hope your Soprano bellite is a great one ;) Well I'm not sure what to expect, but I am praying that they get the mouthpiece in 5-7 days as opposed to being like other sites and taking months. I know I sound impatient, but I have no clue where I'll be if it takes months to get here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
For me, I bought something from them a few years back so I now continuously get their emails. Plus I just really like the name. And believe it or not, I did a project one time in a place called Weiner, Arkansas which is pronounced like the hot dog. I wonder if the two are related? :bluewink:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just mailed some beechler mouthpieces back to weinermusic, they should be there by the end of the week. Ask about the bellite 7, the bellite custom 7, and the custom HR s7s c22 jazz. I'm going to stick with what I have.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just mailed some beechler mouthpieces back to weinermusic, they should be there by the end of the week. Ask about the bellite 7, the bellite custom 7, and the custom HR s7s c22 jazz. I'm going to stick with what I have.
Hey, that's not enough.:cry:
Tell us your experience, and why you decided to stick with what you have.

Not everyone has a chance to try before they buy (I don't , for example), so we rely on other people's feedback.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
I've ordered a few things from Weiner Music and had a great experience each time. I got my Bellite 7 from them.

As for a "jazz" sound, you should get a bright contemporary sound from it. I'm not sure I'd use it on a big band or not, but definitely for contemporary stuff.

It's not a mouthpiece that you can just put on and start playing though. It takes work to get used to it. Good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The more information the better :) As for the jazz sound I'm looking for, I honestly want something different and I've heard good things about the bellite 7. I didn't want anything cheaper, but I couldn't afford anything more expensive. I like the sound of the bellite a lot and I know it'll take getting used to, but that's why we musicians practice right? Not only to get better at music, but also getting better at understanding our instrument as a whole.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
I've ordered stuff from Weiner's and got it quickly without any problems.
Simon Weiner once appeared in a Star Wars movie, you can see his avatar and what he looks like by clicking the community button and looking at the member list under his name, Simon Weiner.
He is the guy in the big helmet. Simon likes big helmets and fast cars.
Has not been around for a while. We miss him.
Tell him, Spartacus sent you and you'll get a big discount.
I have not got any advertising e-mails from him. Maybe he does not like me anymore. Oh well. :(
Forget the discount.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The Beechler pieces are just too resistant, and require a reface right off the bat. I COULD keep the custom bellite and make it work, but shouldn't the mouthpiece work for YOU, and not the other way around? I just recently got in touch with Charles Bay after a couple years, and man, his mouthpieces are among the best I have ever played on. I want one of his EJ pieces again!

·
Registered
263 Posts
The Beechler pieces are just too resistant, and require a reface right off the bat. I COULD keep the custom bellite and make it work, but shouldn't the mouthpiece work for YOU, and not the other way around? I just recently got in touch with Charles Bay after a couple years, and man, his mouthpieces are among the best I have ever played on. I want one of his EJ pieces again!
Good information.

Thanks for that. I heard a few Beechler Belite 7 (ALto) on the youtube, and they sound great. You think they were refaced?
Also, in respect to the re-facing, do you know what modification makes them more playable?

I'm a bit aprehensive about the Soprano I ordered, but when you don't have a chance to try before you buy...
Maybe it will just work. (Fingers crossed...)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
My friend Ron Allen (great player who has played with lots of the "legends" including Miles...) used to play a Beechler Bellite on soprano and he sounded great. I really thought it would be too bright and "edgy" but he told me he loves to way the Beechler Bellite allows him to shape the sound. I guess it is a similar thing to how people say they like a good STM as it allows them to produce a variety of great sounds. I believe he is working on his own line of mouthpieces now. I play one of his prototype hard rubber pieces on soprano. I don't think his Beechler's have had any particular "mods" done.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
My friend Ron Allen (great player who has played with lots of the "legends" including Miles...) used to play a Beechler Bellite on soprano and he sounded great. I really thought it would be too bright and "edgy" but he told me he loves to way the Beechler Bellite allows him to shape the sound. I guess it is a similar thing to how people say they like a good STM as it allows them to produce a variety of great sounds. I believe he is working on his own line of mouthpieces now. I play one of his prototype hard rubber pieces on soprano. I don't think his Beechler's have had any particular "mods" done.
Thanks, this is encouraging :)

I use a Beechler Bellite Custom 5 as my main alto mpc. But I have refaced it, I made the opening bigger (almost a 6) and fixed a bumpy facing curve. Made the facing longer and made the mpc more free blowing by making the facing curve close to a radial curve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbqAaVdjFR0#t=1m44s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGt4NZ5HAIg
Thanks for this. Very informative.

Your sound was unexpected.
It's nice and smooth. Sounded more towards a hard rubber sound. Interesting.

Very helpful info on the refacing.
The "bumpy facing curve" worries me a bit...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Got my Beechler Bellite 7 Soprano metal...

Tested it with various reeds, and nothing worked too well. Then a cheap Rico worked well, and I was releived.

However, the mpc slided straight through. It's too widely bored.
Needs a thicker cork. Funny, that the original Yani cork size doesn't work?

With it, I ordered a box of Vandoren Red Java, and these are smoking with the Selmer S80!!!

Comparing to the Selmer S80 C** - it's only a 20% different. Slightly less resistant (with Rico only). Slightly less stable...a bit more tone range in the mouth...

Given that the S80 is now not much worse, I couldnt' be bothered recorking the brand new Yani.
Not a bad mpc, but the Bellite will have to go. An expensive experiment...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts