Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post here. I have been playing trumpet for 20+ years, and have been moving towards starting to double on saxophone/switch to saxophone for a long time.

I have now come across a second hand, black laqcuered Jupiter tenor sax on the web here in Sweden, and was wondering if any of you guys or gals out there new anything about this horn? I do not know the model number of the horn, but I do now that the price for a new horn like this one is about 14000 swedish crowns (the US dollar is currently worth roughly 7 swedish crowns).

Since the price for this second hand horn is 5.500 swedish crowns, it really sounds like a bargain. I have also gotten the impression that the Jupiter horns are pretty nice as far as horns for beginners go?

Thank you very much for advance for your input.

Cheers,

/Michael

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Michael, if you can give the model type and how old it is, that would help a lot. Jupiter makes a variety of models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A picture

I still don't know the model of the horn ( I haven't been in touch with the owner since yesterday) but I will try to post this picture (I hope posting the picture works):

/Michael

·
Registered
54 Posts
I personally think yamaha makes the best beginner and intermediate horns and are well priced. If you look on ebay, there are a few keilwerth ex 90's for sale starting for $500 but it has a reserve on this particular one but there are others, keilwerth makes awesome saxophones, i owned a sx-90 for 10 years before i switched to my mark VI , the ex90 is actually a semi pro so if you want a quality horn for a steal I would highly recommend getting that horn. Buying a jupiter is kinda like buying a westwood TV, who the heck is westwood lol and the quality would suck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Buying a jupiter is kinda like buying a westwood TV, who the heck is westwood lol and the quality would suck.
Is that your personal experience or are you guessing? I have completely different experience. I own 2 Jupiter Artist Tenor saxophones, the first one i bought 2 years , the other 3 weeks ago. Before that i had Yanagisawa, Yamaha, and Keilwerth Tenors. The Jupiter is as good as these other brands, in my personal opinion they are even better. Ergonomics, Projection and durability are outstanding. Tone is personal taste and i like Jupiters core sound.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
787 model

The Jupiter tenor horn in question is a 787 model horn, and the current owner bought it second hand about a year ago.

I have decided to go ahead and buy the horn, since the price is decent (the equivalent of 800 US dollars). Being a trumpet player, I am not as picky as a reedplayer - I just need a fair starting-out horn...besides, I am a sucker for black laqcuered horns (I already own and play a black laqcuered pocket trumpet...:) ).

Still, it would be interesting if anyone out there had some more info about this particular model.

Thank you,

/Michael

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Michael, I believe the 787 is either the predecessor of the 789 or the same model but sold in other countries with the serial number 787. If you understand German, you might find this interesting: http://www.saxophon-service.de/online/da970458.htm

Anyway, welcome to Tenor Heaven with your new sax! Have fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thank you very much Gary,

for that review in German! It was very helpful - although my German i a bit rusty, I understood quite a lot of it.

I am confident that the 787 model Jupiter tenor will be a very sufficient beginner horn for a newbie like myself.

Thanks again for your input!

Cheers,

Michael

1 - 8 of 8 Posts