Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get info on the best horn I've ever owned, my current Silvertone tenor. It has a great sound, great intonation and NEVER needs work. I've owned a lot of horns including Selmer Paris and this is my favorite. OK, there, I said it. I'm trying to figure out when it was made and which Buescher it is most like. Obviously, it doesn't have Nortons or snap-ins. I have read that the stencils are based on true tones but, when looking at pictures on Saxpics' site, mine seems more like an Aristocrat. First off, it has the large "wrap around" F# trill key above the thumb rest. Did this first appear in the 1940's with the Big B's? Does the presence of this feature automatically mean Aristocrat body tube or not? The RH palm key spatulas look like the True-tones, not like the Aristocrats. The LH palm keys look like an Aristocrat. It has the wire key guards just like the Series I Aristocrats [left side bell keys of course]. What other features should I look for ? Any other info greatly appreciated.Thanks.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
LBAjazz said:
I'm trying to get info on the best horn I've ever owned, my current Silvertone tenor. ........
Hey LBAjazz, long time no see... I thought the Silvertone was distributed through Sears as a stencil of Buescher's 30A model, but not certain. I'd venture a 'yes' on the Aristo body connection.... Would it be a post Selmer-buyout model (and serial number)?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Windmiller is correct about the sears connection but i thought it was an aristocrat stencil and before the buyout
Dave

·
480 Posts
I too have a Silvertone and I was informed by a tech who really knows his Bueschers that it is of the Aristocrat lineage, probably '50s. I bought mine as a backup and was surprised at how good it really is.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, y'all. I'll try for some pictures. Definately a pre- buyout horn. Certainly sold by Sears. Maybe some old Sears Christmas catalogs will turn up with some pictures.Looks to be 1950's from the lacquer. I was mostly wondering if the F# tonehole above the thumbrest meant a Big B body tube [as opposed to earlier Aristos]. The Braces and key spatulas are obviously a throw back to earlier models. I know none of this matters. I just REALLY like these stencils and am trying to learn as much as I can.

·
1,404 Posts
I had a Silvertone that looked exactly the way you describe yours. It had a Big B style bell. I dated it to around 1950. They were sold through Sears.

I thought the Silvertone was a good horn for less than $500. It had a very nice tone quality overall, but other than that, I wasn't too impressed. Intonation was decent, but not great. Response of some notes was a little resistant and/or sulky. Altissimo was poor. The horn seemed very light weight.

The only other vintage Buescher I have played was a TH&C tenor. The Silvertone wasn't any where near the TH&C for overall playing performance, free-blowing response, and richness of tone, but what do you expect when comparing a $500 tenor to a $3000 tenor?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would somebody with a large bell Buescher tenor and somebody with a small bell Buescher tenor please post the diameter of the bell flare? Thank you in advance VERY MUCH.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
5 and 1/2 inch for a 296xxx small-bell Big B tenor
6 inch for a 338xxx Aristocrat (156 model) tenor
No TH&C or 400 model here, but I believe they are even larger flare bells.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
D'oh! Kenmore of course, not Maytag. I remember that "good, better and best" from my childhood days drooling over the wishbook [no, not the lingerie]. What I REALLY wanted back then was one of those electric guitars with the amp built into the case. I bet those are collectible today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts