Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I've been playing sax for about 6 or 7 years now and want to upgrade for my 16th birthday in November. I fell in love with the Yamaha has-62iii silver plated, and realized there are some unanswered questions you guys can probably answer.
Is this the type of silver that needs lots of care for? If so, what exactly do you need to be doing?
Will it be okay used everyday in band and not being able to be cleaned after each time playing?
I won't be using it for marching band, but would taking it outside be detrimental and tarnishing?
Should I be afraid of tarnishing?

Thank you so much!
Rosemary
Currently playing: Cannonball Alcazar gold-laquered alto

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Yes, it'll tarnish, but it cleans up just fine -- like new even! If you have to have a horn that looks great every day with minimal maintenance, then silver is a lot of work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,287 Posts
Some manufacturers apply a clear-coat of lacquer over a silver finish - others don't. Some silver horns will tarnish, others won't.

I've had them both ways (lacquered and not; tarnishing finishes and not). For my silver horns that tarnished, I bought a pair of silver-polishing gloves (treated) and I went over the finish occasionally.

If you like the look of silver (and I do but most of my best playing saxophones are not silver), don't let possible tarnishing affect your decision. Even if the finish doesn't tarnish, an occasional wiping with a treated cloth will bring out the luster and be worth the effort.

Go for it and then be prepared to clean the horn occasionally. DAVE

·
12,876 Posts
Silver is pretty when its kept up. Personally I would avoid it. I like to keep my horn in open air. Witha silver horn it is best to keep it in a case with anti tarnish strips. It takes a lot of work to keep a silver horn up to snuff. You have to devise ways of cleaning under rods...between keys...everything.

If you are a diligent detiled person by nature it may work out. If you are not a good bit ocd dont fool yourself and convinxe yourself that you will be in this one area.

Just give it serious thought and know what you are getting into.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are a diligent detiled person by nature it may work out. If you are not a good bit ocd dont fool yourself and convinxe yourself that you will be in this .
I am most definetly an ocd person when it comes to something I care about(saxophone!) so keeping up with it would not be an issue. My biggest concern is cleaning it properly and not using anything that will damage it.
Also, does anyone know if the Yamahas do come with the clear coat over the silver?

Thanks so much!!

·
12,876 Posts
In that case go for it. There are plenty of silver addicts here that can tell exactly how to clean it. If it is coated you would, of course not use silver polishes.

To be sure I'd contact the company with the model and serial range so to be absolutely sure what you are dealing with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
Silver is pretty when its kept up. Personally I would avoid it. I like to keep my horn in open air. Witha silver horn it is best to keep it in a case with anti tarnish strips. It takes a lot of work to keep a silver horn up to snuff. You have to devise ways of cleaning under rods...between keys...everything.

If you are a diligent detiled person by nature it may work out. If you are not a good bit ocd dont fool yourself and convinxe yourself that you will be in this one area.
I agree with Phil.

I do have pretty silver horns, but they don't get played much since it just so happens that I prefer the horns that I have that are bare brass or lacquered. Nothing to do with the way they look.

For me, things like pretty silver plating can be a distraction from the things that matter (concentrated practicing and making the best music I can).

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,156 Posts
I have a silver plated horn and a bare bronze/silver. Occasional cleaning is necessary, and I would advise that you learn to do some basic disassembling to do be able to get into the nooks and crannies.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Also, does anyone know if the Yamahas do come with the clear coat over the silver?

Thanks so much!!
Yamaha does not apply clear coat over their silver finishes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts