Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, despite having been convinced about buying a Yanagisawa 901, I went to a wonderful store that supplied many pro horns. I decided to try them all out.

I didn't like the Yana's (or yani's, whatever!), nor the Yamahas. They all stifled my style. Even the reference 54 didn't meet the hype surrounding it (lol, in my not so perfect point of view, so don't grill me!). It had wonderful intonation, though! I loved the Selmer Series III and almost bought it when the sales rep brought out a Keilwerth... the last one and he didn't even know he had it!

It was love at first sight... in black nickel with gold, just beautiful. And it played so well, it fit my style. I knew that prices on a Keilwerth were around $3,000 and he shot me a price at $2400 which I took. It is a SX 90 black nickel plated. Is this a pro model? He told me it was and it really doesn't matter, it plays so well. It's just that I want to know if it was a good price and if it's a pro model.

Thanks in advance
 

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
Joined
·
27,650 Posts
What SA said.

And the answer is "yes", BTW. You have a very fine horn on your hands., congratulations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SaxyAcoustician said:
Hmmm... Does it matter if it's a pro model at this point? You said your Keilwerth fit your style even after having tried top-line Selmers, Yamahas and Yanagisawa.
Lol! No, it doesn't, and I sort of mentioned that at the very end. It's more of a matter-of-fact thing. It wasn't even a question of money, I'd still pay the same for it since it fit me perfectly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
congratulations for your new horn..I am about to buy a new horn too and i am between those horns. Next week i am going to play test and......wish me luck!! :)
 

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
Joined
·
3,505 Posts
The SX & SXRs are considered pro models.

Personally I love the Keilwerths - vintage or modern. The tonal quality of them can be very flexible to meet many ppls taste.

I've played them for many years, though due to ergonomics I switched over to Selmers. But if the JKs had better ergos, i'd probably be still playing them. FYI - the ergo issues are due to a bone structure problem which practice does not resolve.

FWIW - i've always loved the look of black with gold keys on any horn .. makes 'em so tempting HLOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
devanabigia said:
congratulations for your new horn..I am about to buy a new horn too and i am between those horns. Next week i am going to play test and......wish me luck!! :)
I do wish you luck and absolutely recommend the play test. What works for some may not work for others, so it's always best to try them out. I just love the rich dark sound and ability to let her rip. She's there waiting to purr!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stevesklar said:
The SX & SXRs are considered pro models.

Personally I love the Keilwerths - vintage or modern. The tonal quality of them can be very flexible to meet many ppls taste.

I've played them for many years, though due to ergonomics I switched over to Selmers. But if the JKs had better ergos, i'd probably be still playing them. FYI - the ergo issues are due to a bone structure problem which practice does not resolve.

FWIW - i've always loved the look of black with gold keys on any horn .. makes 'em so tempting HLOL
I keep reading about ergos on this site. Is that the placement of the tone holes? Or how the keys line up? You're not talking about overtones and subtones are you? Because for once in my life I can actually play harmonics well up into the altissimo range. The only key I'm really not used to yet is the aux. F which is so close to the B key that I accidentally hit it a lot. The sax is also being broke in and the lower notes are suffering from minor leaks.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
3,875 Posts
Ergonomics kind of refers to how comfortable it is to play and this refers to the placement of the keys/pearls and how they fit in relation to your hand. Keilwerth has a reputation of being large and spread out and better suited for people with larger hands. While the japanese horns are better suited to people with smaller hands. Some people struggle with Keilwerth's and find them difficult to play.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
Agent27 said:
Ergonomics kind of refers to how comfortable it is to play and this refers to the placement of the keys/pearls and how they fit in relation to your hand. Keilwerth has a reputation of being large and spread out and better suited for people with larger hands. While the japanese horns are better suited to people with smaller hands. Some people struggle with Keilwerth's and find them difficult to play.
I don't, but then I'm 6'3" with long arms and large hands. :D I just bought a SX90R myself, and find the ergos to be quite good. I have also never had a problem with the LH ergos on SML's, which many also say presents too big of a stretch....
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
3,875 Posts
Swingtone said:
I don't, but then I'm 6'3" with long arms and large hands. :D I just bought a SX90R myself, and find the ergos to be quite good. I have also never had a problem with the LH ergos on SML's, which many also say presents too big of a stretch....
I'm 6'1" but never thought of myself as having large hands (though not small either). I don't have a problem with the my SX90R either, but can see how some people would.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,549 Posts
My 11 year old daughter(tall 5' 2") plays a lacquer SX-90 tenor. I play a Black Nickel Sx-90 tenor(bought in May from Kessler). We both like the easy sound emmision on the low notes and the big fat sound. Ergonomics are fine for us.
 

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
Joined
·
27,650 Posts
Agent27 said:
Keilwerth has a reputation of being large and spread out and better suited for people with larger hands. While the japanese horns are better suited to people with smaller hands.
This is definitely their reputation and I'm sure applicable to many folks. And this was my opinion up until lately so a bit of revisionist posting -

After playing a JK for a couple of years, I've been playing a Yamaha tenor lately and my fingers have had to readjust. I picked up my JK a few days ago after not having played it for a couple of months and everything felt very comfortable: no doubt more spread out but comfortable nevertheless. I think in some cases it really just gets down to what is familiar.

And in your case, Luke, overlook the comments about JK ergonomics and just get used to the horn and enjoy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gary said:
This is definitely their reputation and I'm sure applicable to many folks. And this was my opinion up until lately so a bit of revisionist posting -

After playing a JK for a couple of years, I've been playing a Yamaha tenor lately and my fingers have had to readjust. I picked up my JK a few days ago after not having played it for a couple of months and everything felt very comfortable: no doubt more spread out but comfortable nevertheless. I think in some cases it really just gets down to what is familiar.

And in your case, Luke, overlook the comments about JK ergonomics and just get used to the horn and enjoy it.

Well, if that's what ergonomics mean then I absolutely love the horn. It fits my hand much better than my last sax and I totally love the feel of the whole thing. I'm playing Tico Tico right now, whereas before my old horn prevented me from keeping the 16th notes from sounding even. Now it's all even and fluid. I just have to get used to the aux F being so close. I actually like it right there, but I keep hitting it anyhow.

I love the harmonics on it too. I can finally hit G3 without trouble. The Bb, B and C harmonics all come off easily.

Thanks all for the answers and advice. I really love this new horn. It's made me love playing again. Now I know why Keilwerth fans boast about their horn!

Luke
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top