Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sleeve Wood Tints and shades Drink Human leg

Finger Thumb Door handle Lock Personal protective equipment

Hand Revolver Finger String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory

Hand Eyewear Gesture Finger Thumb

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Drinkware Fender Automotive design

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wood Wind instrument Saxophone

So here are some pictures of what I’m looking at, I basically had 2 questions;

1.I’ve never identified an instrument before and this a school instrument, I was just curious to as what it was nothing is terribly wrong with it. I know that it’s a bundy Selmer and the serial code is 833034, but where do I go from here what that knowledge?

2. I understand about all that stuff about Otto links and Florida and how their quality varies and the ligatures can be ****, but how do I even tell if it’s good or not if I’ve never played another mouthpiece to compare, besides a Yamaha 5c which was much much worse. I bought this link for about 300 off eBay I didn’t even try it before buying but I think I really have liked it this Past half year. I haven’t ever tried another one though so how do I identify if this link is playing like a really good one or not or if it needs refacing and other work done on it?

this forum has answered so many of my questions and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helps other people.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
5,398 Posts
You’ve identified the horn correctly. Nothing special, a student model that’s a decent workhorse. As long as it’s in good playing condition there’s nothing wrong with that horn at all. Regarding the mouthpiece: it may or may not be a valuable or in demand model, but identifying it in the lineage of Links is different than evaluating it as an indivual instrument/ mouthpiece. if it plays well for you then it’s a good player. When you get the horn worked up at a tech shop you can ask them to check your facing and all that, as many techs know how/ what to look for even if they don’t do mouthpiece work themselves regarding flat table and tip/ rails being true. Have fun, I miss playing baritone!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
20,221 Posts
Everything he said.

A very Late model Bundy, by the serial. They sound like monsters and blow well, very rugged, but the key action is what it is.
Nevertheless, a respectable vintage low Bb baritone. Market value maybe $1200-1400 in playing shape.

As for the mouthpiece....setting aside the fact that you spent $300 for it without really researching its era and it's value (?- this I am assuming because of the question you asked here).....just rest assured that.... as it plays well for you and you LIKE it....it wasn't a terrible purchase.

I mean, I dunno, if you WANNA get into figuring its era and what its true market value is, there are plenty of Link fans here...maybe post the question in the mouthpieces section and in the title specify "Link metal"...that should get more attention....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything he said.

A very Late model Bundy, by the serial. They sound like monsters and blow well, very rugged, but the key action is what it is.
Nevertheless, a respectable vintage low Bb baritone. Market value maybe $1200-1400 in playing shape.

As for the mouthpiece....setting aside the fact that you spent $300 for it without really researching its era and it's value (?- this I am assuming because of the question you asked here).....just rest assured that.... as it plays well for you and you LIKE it....it wasn't a terrible purchase.

I mean, I dunno, if you WANNA get into figuring its era and what its true market value is, there are plenty of Link fans here...maybe post the question in the mouthpieces section and in the title specify "Link metal"...that should get more attention....
No I guess I really DONT wanna know if a mouthpiece I like playing on is actually garbage, blissfully ignorant type thing. I think it plays really well and Id like to think I have a nice sound haha

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
9,152 Posts
If you like that mouthpiece, that's all that matters. It strikes me as one of the recent Otto Link 're-issues' that they're making like the originals from the past. Yours looks like the new 'Super Tonemaster' which sells for $379 and is likely engraved with that very name.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts