Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...

I have a couple questions:

I currently play a Yamaha 62 (purchased new in 1996) and my sound is already fairly bright (I play a modern Meyer 6S mpc w/V16 3.5 reeds... both of which I like). I don't necessarily want a brighter or less bright sound and was wondering if the 82ZU would be that much brighter that the 62 or the lacquered 82Z or if it is something that is fairly easy to work with to accomplish whatever kind of tone you'd like.

I am working right now on developing a richer, deeper (but still on the bright side) tone through long tones and a lot of listening. :)

I am not interested in the unlacquered 82Z for it looks but rather because of all the great reviews I've read about it's core sound and ease of play.

I would really like to try one out but none of the music stores in my area have one in stock (They would have to special order it and I would be committed to buy it). Does anyone know how I can try out an 82ZU without having to actually commit to buying it?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. :)

Thanks!

Shannon

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
you would have to contact someone in your area to see if they have them in stock . otherwise you will have to travel to try them out.as a former 62 player for ten years I too was looking for a deeper, richer sound. I bought a lacquer 82Z alto and love it. the tone is much richer through the whole range, but especially up high and down low. don't think there is much difference in the UL version sound wise but definitely in the looks dept. in a couple of years it will look 20 years old.the Z is much more flexible and much easier to play.more free blowing. no resistance at all. will take a little getting used to relaxing the embouchure , especially up top. I can play from low b flat to high f# without changing embouchure at all. couldn't do that with the 62.
If you put a G-1 neck on your 62 it will sound almost identical to a Z except the very lowest notes.low D on down still won't be quite as rich, and the palm keys not quite as rich.this is how I knew I wanted a Z. I loved the sound of the G-1 on my 62 and knew the Z would be even better.
I bought all my yamahas through the internet from large retailers and had no problems. I have my own leak light and can fine tune it myself.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a YTS62II with the G1 neck and couldn't tell the difference (in any respect) between it and the Custom z.

·
Registered
73 Posts
greyteque said:
Thanks saxxsymbol and Flguy! That info helps a lot!

I've read mixed reviews (mostly about intonation) of the G-1 neck. Do either of you know if Yamaha has fixed this problem?
The G-1 neck problems were fixed quite some time ago. Yamaha replaced the faulty necks. I have a lacquer Z tenor that I thoroughly enjoy and love the sound. I have owned an early 62 tenor and an early 875 custom tenor but the Z is the best of the bunch in my opinion. I also purchased a Ponzol neck for the Z and dig the darker, richer sound it provides. I use the G-1 in situations that call for a little more edge and projection but most of the time I have the Ponzol in the horn. I agree that there is very little difference in the sound of the unlacquered and lacquered horn. :cheers:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
I've been tossing around ordering a UL, but the fact that I'm committed to buying it sorta turns me off. I like to check tuning, sound, etc. I'm not at all convinced that an UL sounds ANY different than a lacquered version.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
;)

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
jazzhart said:
The G-1 neck problems were fixed quite some time ago.
Not completely. I had an 82Z tenor with the new neck, and it was way out of tune in the upper register. The tech couldn't fix it. Yamaha and the store would not address the problem. Strong advice: Do not buy an 82Z unless you can test play with a tuner the very horn you are getting.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
i believe wwbw has a return policy that charges a nominal restocking fee. i know in the past they would let you try up to three horns with 10% down on each and if you bought one there would be no restocking charge for the other two.they may still do this. you could get three of the same thing or three different horns.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hm I'm pretty sure it's different now. When I was trying out horns I called up wwbw and they said that I could try two horns at a time if I paid for both and returned one or both that I didn't want within their return policy (30 days).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you all for your replies!
I really appreciate it....

I'm pretty sure that the store I plan on buying from would at least get me a replacement horn if there were any issues. I'll double check before I order. If they won't at least offer me that I'll check out wwbw....

Did any of you who liked the Z horn get any setup work done or did you feel it played great right from the factory?

I'm sorry for all the questions... I've been playing the same sax for over 10 years now and really haven't tried many others...

Thanks again!

Shannon

·
Registered
400 Posts
My Z needed a setup from the factory...The Z ships in a state that is "testable" for retail purposes...but still requires, at minimum, little tweakings to get it great...but a full setup is always recommended to the user's preference! First thing I did was set it up...break it in for about 8 months. Then recently, I removed the junky stock pads and put in some SaxGourmet Black Roo Leather pads! The pop is awesome now!

Only difference is when I get a 50% discount on labour because I work at the store...it's a little easier to do what I want.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Al Stevens said:
Not completely. I had an 82Z tenor with the new neck, and it was way out of tune in the upper register. The tech couldn't fix it. Yamaha and the store would not address the problem. .
Really Al? I honestly thougth all of those issues had been addressed in a modified design of the G1 neck. I have not had an issue with the intonation on my Z except for the middle and high C that tend to be 3 to 4 cents flat on my tuner. This happens on the Ponzol and G1 neck. The rest of the horn is dead on. I will see if I can find our store's Yamaha district rep's name and PM you with it. Maybe he can take care of the issue.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
jazzhart said:
Really Al? I honestly thougth all of those issues had been addressed in a modified design of the G1 neck.
That's what they said. All that notwithstanding, several pro players including my teacher agreed that the sax played badly out of tune in the upper register. That's with the modified G1 neck. Two of them, in fact.
jazzhart said:
I will see if I can find our store's Yamaha district rep's name and PM you with it. Maybe he can take care of the issue.
Thanks, but I sold the horn at a loss to a student of a teacher at the store. The teacher playtested the horn, insisted that it was okay, and highly recommended it to his student. I think he was trying to suck up to the store. I've since heard that the student has serious intonation problems with the horn.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Al StevensThe teacher playtested the horn said:
You know, I can't stand to see something like that. Playing a horn well is hard enough and to have someone push a horn that is not right off on a kid makes it that much worse. All just to save a few dollars at the store! That really sucks. Yamahas, for the most part, are great horns but something like this is what hurts the reputation of the instrument. Sorry to hear about this for the kid. Maybe your tech can check the venting on the keys and see if that helps any. You can also get them to check an M1 neck or possibly an old 62 neck to see if that helps any. :cool:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A brief update:
I bought an 82ZU and I love it. I found one at a retail store and it played ok but I wasn't convinced to buy it. A week later I ordered one from Paul Maslin at PM Woodwind (pmwoodwind.com) and it totally blew away the one from the retail store. The difference was unbelievable! He told me that he hand picks and test plays all of the Yamaha horns he sells.
If you are going to get one of these horns I really recommend buying from PM Woodwind... The prices on their new horns seem to be the same or very close to wwbw and other major retailers...

·
Registered
599 Posts
That's interesting.

Though the Yamaha's should be the same, because of the mass production, I suppose that even they have their differences between the horns. But great suggestions.

I'll try that in the future if I ever look for a good horn.

Congrats on the new 82z btw. I didn't have the chance to try one, but I still dig my 82L :p.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts