Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kings have a reputation of being cutting and "loud" (ok, wrong word but you get the idea) but does that rep. apply to all models and is it really deserved? The reason I ask is, I'm considering (among others) a 40's Zephyr tenor but I'm looking more for a dark, "smokier" (or "throatier") sound. I once owned a Zephyr alto (early 40's) with the double socket neck and 3-ring neckstrap - I liked it a lot and although it did have "some" bite to it it, wasn't extreme. Maybe a better way of asking this is....what does a Zephyr tenor "sound like" to your ears and how does it compare to say a Conn, or a Buescher?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I can't lie. I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever one I eventually choose but my heart is with a King. My Zephyr alto was cool and the tenor I played in HS was also a King. I can't recall the model but it was a neat horn that I really enjoyed playing at the time. I agree they just sound "different" but it's hard to pinpoint it. I'll check into that mouthpiece too! This one I have my eye on has metal resonators.....wondering if that would "put it over the top" on the "edge" category, hmmm?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Zephyr alto had rounded spatulas which I prefer as well.

I'm trying to keep things in the $1000 - $1300 range, so, pretty limiting (if money were less of an object there's a Martin on SaxQuest I would kill to have but it's $2700.00). It seems Zephrys, Conns (later 50's to mid 60s.....I havent seen a 10M from 40's 50's for under 2K unless it needed an overhaul) and Bueschers can be had for the price range I'm in. Good to know all of those are decent choices. I don't want to rush into a purchase but also want to be ready to jump if I see something that seems to be a good deal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts