Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I mentioned in a thread in the Necks forum that I bought a 10M and Im having some neck trouble, but here I've got another question.

The horn is Satin Silver Plate with Gold Plate put over top of it, is there a) a way to polish the tarnish off the gold and remove some of the corrosion around the toneholes without destroying the finish, and b) would it be possible to remove the gold plate and have the horn back to its original silver without having to strip the whole horn to bare metal and replate ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,321 Posts
Just about 14 hours ago I cleaned an old Chu gold plated alto. I disassembled it, too the body to the tub and used Tarn-X. With the horn dry, I dipped an old soft toothbrush in a small container of the tarn-X and just rubbed it around all of the tone holes, posts and ribs. After I was done, I washed it down with water and used a soft liquid polish (haggerty's) and a soft rag. Looks like new. For the keys, just use the polish.
As far as removing the gold, don't do it as the process will also remove the silver.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts