Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Sinta teaches overtones one mode at a time. On page 23 he is working the 2nd mode and in ex. 7 he runs up the 2nd mode above Bb1, B1, C1, C#1, D1, D#1 and E1. All of those are pretty easy for me except the the 2nd mode above E1. I can't even get a hit of that high B. He says to vent the Eb key in order to get it. Does he mean the right hand Eb key or the left hand side key. Neither seems to do anything. If you use the right hand Eb key that you are trying play the 2nd mode of the E1 above the the Eb1 which makes no sense. What gives?

·
Registered
128 Posts
That B comes easy for me. I bet it's the left hand side, but I get it with just the front F.....Many are a challenge for me though 3 years out after a 40 year break!

·
Registered
128 Posts
****ing site is so weird for me to post! I post then even though it says I have to log in again when I do it is a double post!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I have read a book by Larry Teal (Sinta’s Teacher) about overtones.
There was a section where he talked about venting and I believe this is what Sinta may also be talking about.
Teal describes how the octave keys vent to help facilitate getting to a higher octave. The way he has saxophonists work on correct voicing is to create extra vents to help particular notes. The places to vent are in the palm keys. Particularly, you need to open the plan key very slightly. I will use the thin end of a broken reed myself. This creates a new vent that makes the saxophone respond differently. If you need more help you can push the reed further making the palm key open more. Once you get better you vent with the thinner part of the reed, until ultimately using no venting at all.
I hope this information was helpful!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it was easy to get the B above E1 by venting the Eb, but it was an octave higher. I can't get the actual 2nd mode.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts