Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm currently an intermediate player headed off to college, and I have been using my grandfather's old setup for about 6 or 7 years now. It's a Buescher Aristocrat with a Brilhart Ebolin Special mpc. I don't know too much about these mpcs, but from what I understand the Specials were made for beginning players. I have far surpassed the beginning stages and am ready to purchase a new horn and mpc to accommodate my playing style. My problem lies here: I've researched fairly deep into the Brilhart mpcs, but I could never find any information on the specs of this particular mpc. It has no numbers or other markings (besides "Brilhart Ebolin Special"), and I would like to know the facing/tip opening, etc. before making a new mpc purchase. Any ideas on what I've got here?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
Don't give in to the hype over 'beginner', 'step-up', and 'pro' mouthpieces.
Play what ever gives you the sound and response that you are looking for.

If you take the Brilhart to your local music shop there may be someone there who can 'gauge' it for you.
Then they can give you a few options on similar mouthpieces.
You should know that the horn you decide to purchase may not like a mouthpiece with the same internal dimensions as the Brilhart.
As with everything 'horn related' try everything you can get your hands on to find out works the best for you and your sound concept.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot, my friend, that actually makes a lot of sense. I definitely don't want to use this mpc anymore, it is very far away from the sound I'm looking for. I only ask because supposedly you shouldn't be jumping from a low tip opening to a high one and vice versa without working your way into it. Thanks again.

·
19,215 Posts
You can make a kind of big jump if you know what to expect.
The fun is in the trying. The hard part is deciding which one you like best!
Take 3 different strength reeds with you when you start testing and enjoy. :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I think it would be about a.080" tip but not sure. Just a basic Brilhart Ebolin without the white bite plate and only one facing. Being that you can find nice Ebolin 4*s for about $25, it is not worth much. If you want a bigger sound try a Rico Graftonite in about a B5 or a Metalite M5. I have both along with my Meyer 6M, Morgan Excalibur 6E and Brilhart Tonalite (clear) 4*. Hard to choose but the Ricos go for $20-30 and I really like them. Worth a try.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
The "Special" model only came in one tip opening, medium, which in Brilharts correspond to #2 (Around .075".for tenor)
As bandmommy says, don't be afraid of a (big) jump. A Rico Graftonite B5 is .095", so maybe a B3 (=.085") will suit you better.
In my opinion, it is not a rule of nature to grow in tip opening as you get more experienced. Stan Getz played a .080" as did Brew Moore.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
964 Posts
well, I've gotten to the point where my prime alto mouthpiece is a Brilhart Special - all I've done is add a small baffle of dental wax - the sound is truly "vintage," the baffles gives it a bit more brightness without shrillness, but it's still got a bottom end. At about $20-25 on Ebay I'm buying as many as I can find.

·
19,215 Posts
There is a reason I refuse to sell my 'vintage' Ebolin. The thing is sweeeeeeet. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
I have a special here too. Sounds great, just as good or maybe even better than a "real" vintage Ebolin I used to have. Mr Brilhart definitely knew what he was doing.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
of all the Brilhart models,Ebolin is my least favorite...I think its the material :twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Arnold knew how to design a good mouthpiece. It really is not all about the material.

...no I dont want to start that discussion. Forget I said it.
LOL
Phil - Did you ever take a look at an ARB Arbex ? Especially the black ones with the white tip are fabulous.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
of all the Brilhart models,Ebolin is my least favorite...I think its the material :twisted:
The new Ebolins are student mouthpieces. Listen to Benny Carter, Johnny Hodges, Charley Parker and many others of that era.
They played plastic Brilharts. It wasn't the material. It was Arnold Brilhart.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
Modern ones just need proper finishing. There are lots of brilharts out there with wonky facing work as well. Contrary to popular belief I have found the majority of them to sound and respond better after a reface. Keep in mind that they were production pieces and made quite fast.

·
Registered
964 Posts
in case anyone's still interested, I picked up a nice Personaline off of ebay - and guess what? At many times the price, though it plays a little bit easier, it sounds identical to my Brilhart Specials.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts