Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,people!
I would like to know anything about Olds Studio saxophone.
Tell me please about this horn,those who play on this sax.
Sound?
I hear that this sax stencil martin committee II.Is it true?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
873 Posts
The Studio is a Martin Indiana stencil. The Super is the model that is said to have a Committee II body.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,086 Posts
the Super is similar to a Comm II but not made by Martin. Supposedly an in house design. I have one and it is pretty good but they are expensive in decent shape.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmm..The Indiana is one of (martin) intermediate line horns.So is Olds studio not professional sax ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
873 Posts
That's correct; the Studio was marketed as an intermediate level instrument, it is not a professional model.

the Super is similar to a Comm II but not made by Martin. Supposedly an in house design. I have one and it is pretty good but they are expensive in decent shape.
But they look so similar... even the "OLDS" stamped on the body tube in exactly the same way as Martins had.

A Super tenor sold on eBay for a bit under $600 a few months back, and at the time I didn't think I could justify that kind of price (a reasonable price, for sure, just not friendly to my wallet then) but I'm really wishing I had bid anyway as I'll probably never see one again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
That's correct; the Studio was marketed as an intermediate level instrument, it is not a professional model.
The Olds Studio that I've seen in person was a very nice Indiana stencil. The single-piece side Bb key is the giveaway to it being a stencil of a second-line horn. It also had beveled tone holes similar to the Indiana.

But they look so similar [the Olds Super and Comm II]... even the "OLDS" stamped on the body tube in exactly the same way as Martins had. A Super tenor sold on eBay for a bit under $600 a few months back, and at the time I didn't think I could justify that kind of price (a reasonable price, for sure, just not friendly to my wallet then) but I'm really wishing I had bid anyway as I'll probably never see one again.
I had a Super in the shop a few years back. Most of the keys were identical to the Comm II's except for the key cups. If Martin didn't manufacture that horn then someone bought the tooling from Martin to make it. I'd suggest that maybe Olds bought the raw parts from Martin and assembled them in the their factory. The octave mechanism was unique to Olds and is seen on other models. I've got some side-by-side close up pictures of the keys somewhere on one of my hard drives. They are definitely Martin designed.

·
21,086 Posts
Somewhere I read that it was designed by a former Martin guy and made in Fullerton. Of course I could be wrong as most workers from that period are probably dead or wish they were. The octave keywork is different from most Martins. I will need to compare my Super alto with a Martin Centennial as I have not made that comparison yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to buy this sax (Studio),but seller said that it is instrument for professional level . You say that it isn't . I don't know what to do...

·
21,086 Posts
Most of the non-pro parts of he Indianas would be the keywork. Compared to a lot of horns today, the Indiana/Studio would be a pro horn.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I want to buy this sax (Studio),but seller said that it is instrument for professional level . You say that it isn't . I don't know what to do...
My guess is it will always LOOK like a student model because of the nickel-plated keys. That, and the fact that it is a stencil horn rather than a stated 'Martin' will also keep its value way down, no matter how well it plays. I suggest leave it alone if you want a so-called pro-horn, unless you really like it and its cost is in line with intermediate-only ! (I worry when I find sellers trying to build up descriptions beyond what is warranted. Also, how do you know the playing condition is everything the Seller says ?). More details here about their asking price might help you get some more informed suggestions...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Photos and prices for Martin/Indiana and Olds Studio tenor saxes:

1953 year Martin tenor (lacquered) $300
1953 year Indiana tenor (lacquered) $207
1957 year Olds Studio tenor $325
1960 year Olds Studio tenor $340

Therefore I can assume that during this period (the 50th years) the status of the Olds Studio tenor was higher than the "Indiana"..

View attachment 57950 View attachment 57951 View attachment 57952

1 - 15 of 15 Posts