Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In other conversations here some have mentioned the fact that they don't bother to take the reed off the sax when they are adjusting the bottom of the reed. I've been doing this with the reed geek and found that at least in theory, this is very useful. Because taking the reed on off is such a hassle, one tends to overdo the scraping. It is so easy to just srcape a tiny bit off, instantly play it and then scrape a bit more off unit you get what you want. Is there any downside to doing this? I realize that you don't have a hard flat surface under the reed, but it seems that with the geek you don't need it.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
In other conversations here some have mentioned the fact that they don't bother to take the reed off the sax when they are adjusting the bottom of the reed.
How do you adjust the bottom of the reed without taking if off the mpc?! In any case, I guess I'm just paranoid, but I don't want to wield a sharp object that close to my mpc. I guess it can be done, carefully, with a reed geek on the TOP of the reed, though.

But I'm not trying it. Actually, I prefer to lightly sand (using very fine sandpaper) the top of the reed and use the reed geek to flatten the bottom of the reed, in both cases with the reed OFF of the mpc.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Actually, I prefer to lightly sand (using very fine sandpaper) the top of the reed and use the reed geek to flatten the bottom of the reed, in both cases with the reed OFF of the mpc.
That's usually what I do as well.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
It’s pretty obvious he’s talking about the lower part of the reed. Yes, easy to make adjustments on the fly. At most I’ll creep the ligature back to make more room. Except for on the backside of the reed, which is flattened as needed before playing, I never take it off for adjustments. No different than when I used a razor, pocket knife, or sand paper. Never once damaged a mouthpiece adjusting 1000’s of reeds.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I meant the top of the reed (the side that is not completely flat). i don't see how you could ever hurt the MPC with a geek. You'd have to be pretty clumsy. It sure makes balancing the reed a breeze.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I like to take the reed off and put it against a flat surface. Trouble is that I need to basically memorize what changes I need to make after a short left side/right side playing test. It also takes a bit longer. So if I am practicing I of course do this.
When I was with the Circus and never had a break more than 30 seconds I would make adjustments very quickly while the reed was still on the mouthpiece. I don’t suggest this. It was needed for me because otherwise I had to work a lot harder if notes were stuffy in some range. I could only do this quickly and on the spot because I had done so much reed prep and also memorized various reed adjustment charts.
My guess is that wen you don’t have a flat surface to press against, you risk not having as accurate of a shaving. Not slippage, more like the shave won’t go as deep and make the correct indentation on the reed. It never felt as solid doing this and I try to avoid it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I work on the reed mostly on the mouthpiece. Even the light scratches on the top if needed. Yes, using the reedgeek.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts