Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

As I wrote in my presentation, I'm a French tenor saxophonist, I play on a Yana T991 with several Vandoren mouthpiece, java, jumbo java (my preferate), V16 metal and HR, in 0,98 tip opening (7 Jody jazz) but I want to try a different way, Jody jazz retain my attention.
I search something less bright than my Jumbo, even if I love it, but it is not warm.
There is two Jody jazz mouthpiece I look, the classic and the HR, this very difficult to make my mind, can you help me?

P.S.: sorry for my bad English...

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
The Classic will probably play more like your Java and Jumbo Java. The HR* is not really what I would call a "warm" mouthpiece, but it will be a lot warmer than the Classic. If you want to limit your choices to those two, and you're looking for something less bright and warmer than your Jumbo Java, I would choose the HR*.

I've never played a Vandoren V16 HR mouthpiece. The Jody Jazz HR* might be similar to that. You might just want to save some money and play your V16 HR mouthpiece for now.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Between those two I'd go with the HR, those are very nice playing and versatile pieces, can be played with warmth or edge. The Classic (for me) sounded harsh and mid-rangey.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Buck, that's a good information for me, when I said warm, I would say a little less brighter, the Classic interest me with the spoiler system, it procure perhaps 2 mouthpieces in one,
no?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,253 Posts
I have a V16 A5M, a Blue Java 35A and had a JodyJazz classic 8 (with baffle) that I sold. I think the V16 and JodyJazz HR are in the "same family". The JJ classic are more like a Java. I think the jumbo java is brighter than a JJ with insert baffle. As gsaxman100 wrote, the classic is different, because of the square chamber. I like it a lot, it is almost the same mpc as the Runyon Custom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts