Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How and where do you stow your neck? Or mouthpiece(s)? I'm a little surprised that my new case doesn't have a cutout inside for the neck at least, like my tenor's has.

Sure, there's that zippered side pouch, but there's no real protection from a lethal side hit there.

There are those after-market padded pouches for necks and mouthpieces which, I guess, could be stored inside the case somehow without rattling around loosely. Any suggestions on these?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Inside that side pouch is another mini pouch you can put a neck in I think. I never tried to put mine in there though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Mine came with the padded pouch which fits well in the bell of my horn. I agree with you on the lack of inside storage. I don't really like putting my mouthpiece in the outside pouch area. I like the way my bari fits in the case though.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP
1,363 Posts
I have a polishing cloth in which I wrap the neck. This goes into the 'box' along with the mouthpieces. A pouch would be cool, but I don't have one...the polishing cloth works just fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I unpacked my horn at rehearsal last night (in some strong light!) and was surprised to find that there was a padded neck pouch lurking in there after all....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
Are you familiar with the Crown Royal purple bags?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,908 Posts
Finnerski said:
Mine came with the padded pouch which fits well in the bell of my horn. I agree with you on the lack of inside storage. I don't really like putting my mouthpiece in the outside pouch area. I like the way my bari fits in the case though.
Ditto. I use the padded pouch as well!

·
2,063 Posts
TenorX said:
I unpacked my horn at rehearsal last night (in some strong light!) and was surprised to find that there was a padded neck pouch lurking in there after all....
I'm so glad I could be of help to you!:D

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Martin Williams said:
I use these in my alto and tenor cases however!
I put my reedguard in the airline bottle sized pouch.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Martin Williams said:
they actually make the bags for bottles that small?
Yep.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My Protec bari case came with a little pillow-like pad thing that fits around the bell while the sax is in there. There's kind of a slot in it, and my neck fit's in there. It's kind of hard to explain...I don't know if that's what it's meant for, but it works just fine.

I keep my mouthpiece and reeds in a drawstring bag that fits inside the bell. My harness fits in the space kind of under the bell.

I only use the zippered pocket on the outside for music, pencils, tuner, metronome, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah...that pillow-like thing is what I finally found last night. It's a nice touch. Looks like it could serve double duty as extra padding in the bell area void for a low Bb horn.

·
1,423 Posts
What comes with it and fit?

I've had one of these sitting unopend for a few weeks, so i decided to check it out-2 questions:

Mine came with a shoulder strap and the soft pillow thing, am I missing something? - saw reference to the neck pouch, or is that the pillow thing?

My Yani B901 fits very loosely in the case-if the neck socket, bowed portion of the neck and bell are snug against the padding, I have approx an inch of space down at the bow. I can also slide my hand under the entire body and bell. Is this safe? I'm tempted to add extra padding, what are good materials, or should I continue searching?

On the other hand my Tenor case fits my series 2 like the proverbial glove

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The "neck pouch" and 'pillow thing" are one in the same. I can put my neck AND mouthpiece in it...then stick the whole thing in the bell.

·
2,063 Posts
TenorX said:
The "neck pouch" and 'pillow thing" are one in the same. I can put my neck AND mouthpiece in it...then stick the whole thing in the bell.
Really? I thought I could only fit my neck in there. I'll check that out again, it would be nice to fit both in there.

·
1,423 Posts
littlemanbighorn said:
I don't see those bags with bottles of CR anymore.
I haven't bought one in a long time because I swiched to bourbon, but I heard once that you can buy them separately.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts