Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trialing one of these now. I like it but my question is, do you find it better to go up in reed strength with these (as his site suggests) or up in tip opening without going to a harder reed? Thanks for any insight/experience you might have to offer.

· Registered
4,104 Posts
Hi Leon. I've been playing a DV for over 3 years. I play a 7* and use 2 1/2 Java red box reeds.

I don't know what reed strength you are using now but you may want to go up in the tip opening and maybe even go down in reed size in order to get a full sound.

If you tell me what you're using now that would help.

· Registered
4,104 Posts
Ok I had a STM 8 with soft reeds. I would use the same strength reed on the DV.

However the brand is important too.

I have way more tone colors especially in the lows with medium soft to soft reeds.

And the soft reeds give better flexibility.

The brand is crucial to get the sound that you like. I can't tell you what you like.

Ironically Rico Royal 2's gives a great sound through the entire range but I like 2 1/2 Java red's because it's a much harder reed.

Understand that the DV is very reed picky to get a full sound. Even within a brand and strength.

Many players try the DV with reeds that work on another mouthpiece and never really understand it.

But once you find the right reed there is nothing like it.

· Registered
561 Posts
I have been playing the DV for several years now. I play a 10. I agree that the reeds can make a big difference as to how these sound. I think it's because of the "secondary window", which allows more of the reed to vibrate, thus emphasizing the characteristics of the reed itself.

I am using Vandoren Java 3's on mine and I really like them. I was using V16 3's but I found they could get a bit harsh sounding sometimes in the upper register. The Java's are a little bit softer and make the lower register more responsive and the upper register is amazing. I think the key to playing high on softer reeds is to make sure to keep a relaxed embouchure and don't squeeze on the reed.

If you want to hear how that setup sounds, you can check out my website at:
http://www.soulfulhorns.com
Go to the music page and listen to the first clip "funk demo". The solo is me on my Mark VI with the JJDV and Java 3's.

· Registered
8 Posts
Each to their own mate ...

I am just a n00b - Only had JJDV [Alto-7] and [Tenor-8*] for about 3 months ... :mrgreen:

On Alto I use Rico Royal [Blue Box] - 2.5
On Tenor a Rico Royal Jazz Select - Medium Soft

The Tenor Piece is quite a bit more difficult to control ... :headbang:

Hope that Helps ...

· Registered
4,104 Posts
I have been playing the DV for several years now. I play a 10. I agree that the reeds can make a big difference as to how these sound. I think it's because of the "secondary window", which allows more of the reed to vibrate, thus emphasizing the characteristics of the reed itself.

I am using Vandoren Java 3's on mine and I really like them. I was using V16 3's but I found they could get a bit harsh sounding sometimes in the upper register. The Java's are a little bit softer and make the lower register more responsive and the upper register is amazing. I think the key to playing high on softer reeds is to make sure to keep a relaxed embouchure and don't squeeze on the reed.

If you want to hear how that setup sounds, you can check out my website at:
http://www.soulfulhorns.com
Go to the music page and listen to the first clip "funk demo". The solo is me on my Mark VI with the JJDV and Java 3's.
This has been my experience almost exactly. I played V16's for a year and felt the same way.

Soft reeds afford more flexibility and more colors in the low register.

The key to playing softer reeds is not to bite or close the reed off.

Ideally the same position should be held for low Bb as for altissimo A, however we get excited and tend to close the reed sometimes.

Rico Royals give an exquisite sound but they seem a little soft. In all fairness I only tried 2's.

Green box Java's also are a little soft and I try to stay away from 3's

To me soft reeds give the DV a full sound and allow me to play dark with a rich texture and of course bright as I like.

Red box 2 1/2 Java's are harder than the green box and when you find a great one they can last for months and get spoiled.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
6,819 Posts
I have a friend that uses Alexander Superials in a #4 strength on his JJDV 7* (.108). He used they same reed on my Drake Studio .110. I used a BARI* Med on his, and a BARI* Soft on mine. I found both quite easy to control, and very similar in many respects, as did he. The Drake just had a "titch" more of something to "push against" (which I prefer).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.