Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a mouthpiece (meYer 5, mid-sized chamber # 2, 2 and-a-half reeds) is strong and resonant in the lower register and the lower upper register but wimpy in the upper part of the upper register, (from G upwards) is there any way to improve it via the lay - making it longer? Shorter? More open? Close it down a bit?
Any ideas from experienced people? (Would appreciate it if you don't actually know or have to take a guess, please don't post.)
Thanks.

ATJ

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
I'd agree with Michael that the Meyer 5 matches well to a Rico 3 or something similar. Beyond that long tones and those Rascher exercises in the front of the top tones book. You should be able to improve on your results without having the mpc worked on.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michael Ward said:
try a 3 reed. The 2 is too soft and the 21/2 borderline. A harder reed will help with the upper register.
Thanks Michael.
The only problem with that is that although they *can* be brighter, I find #3's hard-blowing. (I do have a well-developed long-term embouchure.) Twos are so much more responsive I hate to go through the switch. I was looking for a MP solution.
ATJ

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
If you want to use the softer reeds, you might just need a more open tip. Try a 6M as a test. A buddy should have one. But you may need to try a few. Even the next 5M you try might be better than yours.

You can also try trimming up a 2.5 reed or sanding down a 3 to get a 2 3/4 strength.

Facing work can help of your facing curve is too flat going into the tip rail.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I hear you about 3's being a harder blow but maybe experiment with a really good quality reed like for example Alexander Superial ( Yellow Tin).Once you've played it a short while and they settle down they play as responsive as a 21/2 but keep the tone all the way and don't close up. When you go back to your 21/2 or 2 you'll feel the difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts