Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a used Yamaha YAS-62II. It plays well but there are some unusual things about it. It is stamped "YAS-62II, [Serial Number] 072355, Made in Japan".

Per this page - http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Yamaha_YAS62.htm I was expecting the neck/clamp to look like this...

View attachment 249840

..., but it does not. On this YAS-62II the neck is not stamped G1 (or anything - it's plain) and the neck clamp doesn't say Yamaha - it's just a collar and a screw. Per the owner - "he has owned the sax for 17-18 years and his teacher bought it back for him from Japan".

So my question is: is this is a legit YAS-62II? (I assume it is - it would be a lot of work to build a counterfeit ). Is this some sort of Japanese only model, or a transitional model?

Also the seller is asking $1200 which seems on the reasonable-cheap end of the spectrum. I appreciate any insight this community can give me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Well, my guess would be that it could be an early 62II and since it came directly from Japan it doesn't yet have the features you're talking about. My 62II has those features but it's only 9 years old. I don't agree about the price though. $1200 would be reasonable only if the horn is in great condition. The 62II was going for around $2200 when I bought mine new in 2011. I'm not sure what depreciation on a Yamaha is that's almost 20 years old.

·
Registered
244 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts