Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently haven't had any wind instrument training, but got the Akai EWI USB, and wondering if it should be approached differently as far as fingering and such than traditional wind instruments. I'm also interested in down the line when I get proficient with it how I can expand the generally narrow sound library it comes with, and thru a little research found the Yamaha VL70M that seems to fit the bill.. it seems really expressive in it's capabilities. But does anyone know if it's even compatible with an EWI USB? Or EWI4000?

While I'm here, I'm also wondering what the expressive limitations are of an electronic synth such as the EWI compared to a real wind instrument. Do you think it's possible to use the VL70M in conjunction to imitate a realistic wind sound? Thanks

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
You would have to connect the VL70M to the computer with a midi interface and route the EWI to it by means of sequencing software.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's better to think of these things as a completely different instrument. If you approach them with the goal of making it sound exactly like an X, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. They can get close, but only a real X will sound like an real X [rolleyes]

I don't know about an EWI but you can configure a WX5 for different fingerings (e.g. sax style, flute style) but ultimately, it's about how they play and respond to you. They're a very expressive instrument, but you need to learn how to play them, just as you would any other instrument. Some people think that because they already know the fingerings, they'll be able to pick one up and just play it, which is true but it'll take time to get good on one.

The VL70-m is probably one of the best synths out there for wind controllers. I haven't used it with anything other than a WX5 (and a sequencer) but I would be surprised if it didn't work with an EWI. You definitely want to check out Patchman's replacement sound chip - the difference is like night and day. They sound better and play much better as well. Lots of sample clips on the website and I use it in a lot of my stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts